Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Knight's Tale

Options
  • 01-09-2001 11:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Chaucer meets the MTV generation. The film is an enjoyable 2-hour piece of hokum. The are a couple of laugh out loud moments, but the main drawing point is the jousting set pieces and the actor who plays Chaucer with gusto.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

dilbert2045691010807.gif

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 02-09-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Quite enjoyable to say the least.

Doesn't make itself out to be a realistic portrayal of medieval times its just a decent enough film as said to much popcorn to.

Bits of it are funny, bits of it are an attempt at emotion, lots of it is wood-smashing-rib-crunching jousting "action".

I was just quite impressed that it could hold its own in the box office with no big name attached to it *cough* Matt Damon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

So
    a/ you went to see the film, didn't like it.
    b/ didn't see it at all and are making an attempt to be funny.

I did enjoy it, it's not going to rank as an all time cinema great, but it was fun to munch popcorn to.

So, in future Hobbes try to provide a constructive comment (good/bad) instead of implying that positive reviews are mere astroturfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

i enjoyed this movie. it required no thought at all which was great that jousting (while looking completely inaccurate) was thuroughly entertaining. the main squeez (shannon sossamon?) was well hot and i think heath ledger is a decent actor (he need a part that requires acting though)

over.. well enjoyable

j

"Why not put the match in a shark tank, with real live sharks, hungry sharks, and the only way to beat your
    opponent is to stuff them down a shark's throat and pin a shark".
    -Kurt Angle to Lilian Garcia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<hypothesis>
    All these men who went to A Knight's Tale have girlfriends.
    </hypothesis>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually the comments Dogbert said are in fact the review from the movie you watched.

The comments were made by an imaginary critic that Sony invented to sell movies. smile.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sorry Hobbes for the over-reaction. I thought you meant me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pity about the editing (and/or continuity) - at least 3 bloopers (aside from the obvious poetic license)

1. Rag in wrong nostril in dancing practice scene.
    2 & 3. At least twice the horse starts on the right, but finishes on the left

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:
    Pity about the editing (and/or continuity) - at least 3 bloopers (aside from the obvious poetic license)

1. Rag in wrong nostril in dancing practice scene.
    2 & 3. At least twice the horse starts on the right, but finishes on the left

</font>

This has always ****ed me off. I swear some ppl watch movies JUST to see continuity mistakes smile.gif OK, Im biased cos im an Editor.
    Bad continuity does not equal bad editing. A lot of these things are forced on the editor simply because of the shoot coverage. Youd also be suprised at the amount of ppl that dont notice enormous continuity mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    I was just quite impressed that it could hold its own in the box office with no big name attached to it *cough* Matt Damon</font>
    Heath Ledger, while relatively new to the scene is already considered to be quite a big name. Definitely a chick heart-throb.

I was in London while they had the premiere and the guy got a huge reception outside the Odeon from all the little girlies standing around screaming at him. Course, they could have just been there to sream at all the stars who were attending....

Havent seen the flick yet (not released here in Switzerland yet), but I liked Ledger in 10 Things I Hate About You, and he was supposed to be excellent in The Patriot.

Oh - he was also in Roar, the TV series, where again he did quite well. He was about the only saving grace the series had really.

Mel Gibson is apparently quite impressed with the kid, and a lot of people have slated him to become the next huge Aussie actor.

So while not an "opening name" like Cruise or Damon, the guy has some cred, and is quite popular state-side already.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Firstly yes I was dragged to see it by my gf.

Secondly, I thought it was terrible. I know it wasn't supposed to be accurate, but it could have at least had some relation to the subject in question??

Watch how he grips a sword for one, he interlocks his fingers in one scene!! lol

The idea of him miracuriously recovering from the piece of metal jammed in his lung to drop down and vault himself over the fence and run to the female interest of the film without even a flinch is just idiotic.

It just took way too much freedom with the subject for me, I would also have liked a small twist in the plot to add some level of depth to the flick.

One image for yee, all those americans who see this and take it as representitve of the way things were in those days....

Advertisement