Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off Ireland

Options
  • 30-10-2004 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

always buy online, g1 etc are a ripoff

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's what you get when you have an monopoly in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 wayneg

to you all. yeah you cud go round the whole world tryin to find cheap skate stuff! Why not try n support your homegrown skate companies! skateboards used to be alot dearer years back , u shudnt b complaining... And yes there is a game of MONOPOLY goin on here!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭DUB

bedlam wrote:
    A $51 deck from ckymovies to ireland had $31 shipping (61euro total)

I'm no mathematician but isn't that a total of 82 euro. so your saving yourself very little. rip off Ireland? (that's not very original:D) the shop here probably imports their boards as well no? probably in small numbers which will cost them quite a bit per board and on top of that they have to add 21% vat to everything they sell here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Getting stuff onlinr qualifies for excise duty over 50 euros or so, (outside EU), so not always a bargain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

DUB wrote:
    I'm no mathematician but isn't that a total of 82 euro. so your saving yourself very little. rip off Ireland? (that's not very original:D) the shop here probably imports their boards as well no? probably in small numbers which will cost them quite a bit per board and on top of that they have to add 21% vat to everything they sell here.

Its dollars, so its not 82 euro. Rate is good at the mo. A $30 board costs maybe $15 trade and an Irish skate shop would sell it for roughly $80 or $90 so thats..what...ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

wayneg wrote:
    to you all. yeah you cud go round the whole world tryin to find cheap skate stuff! Why not try n support your homegrown skate companies! skateboards used to be alot dearer years back , u shudnt b complaining... And yes there is a game of MONOPOLY goin on here!!!!

(pimpin) buy that man's boards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SK8BRD

Very well been cheap to buy the board but you will always get charged by customs when u receive the item so you might have a saving of 4 or 5 quid wopeedoodaa i waited 4 days for my board and saved meself 5 quid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

wayneg wrote:

Why support rip off companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

SK8BRD wrote:
    Very well been cheap to buy the board but you will always get charged by customs when u receive the item so you might have a saving of 4 or 5 quid wopeedoodaa i waited 4 days for my board and saved meself 5 quid
    No you won't

FX Meister wrote:
    Why support rip off companies?
    I'll scratch the surface just a little bit for you:

You do know product needs to be shipped and that it costs money yes? Overhead is a part of any business. Those same companies that got great things such as RNR built and open to the public after having had to learn Irish law to do so in the first place? Sponsored competitions, built ramps, opened shops, got a selection of boards and other great things for us to choose from? Those same people running those companies, supporting kids, taking them places, buying them their lunch because they spent their money on stickers and paying for the petrol for such trips and entrance fees to competitions are all complete ****, every last one of them, I wouldn't give them a stinking penny, they pocket it all for themselves! :rolleyes:

I'm going to make a point in case about wayne g who runs boarderco and is a good friend of mine for more than a decade now. His product is certainly not rip off and is quite cheap by Irish and UK standards. He doesn't make a lot of money at all (if any!) and most of the time he's struggling to make ends meet BUT he does it to support skateboarding and Irish skateboarders. He sponsors kids, he gives out free product that he is paying for out of his own pocket, himself and Mike Keane got Ramp 'N' Rail up and running a few years back and all you can do is sit back and spit at them, well I find that rather disgusting to say the least.

Damn cool kids think you know it all but when it comes to the crunch you're just another "gimme" kid aren't you? I'll bet the savings you make don't even make a bit of a difference to you, do they? :p

I barely had a choice of anything to buy here when I first started skating, now you have all the choice in the world and all you can do is bitch and moan about it.

FX Meister wrote:
    No you won't
    YES YOU MIGHT, get your facts straight, there's no magical "get passed customs" and do not pay tax law, they might decide to grab you and if they do then it's tough cookie, they're within their right to do so. Your board could end up being more expensive then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

TacT wrote:
    I'll scratch the surface just a little bit for you:

You do know product needs to be shipped and that it costs money yes? Overhead is a part of any business. Those same companies that got great things such as RNR built and open to the public after having had to learn Irish law to do so in the first place? Sponsored competitions, built ramps, opened shops, got a selection of boards and other great things for us to choose from? Those same people running those companies, supporting kids, taking them places, buying them their lunch because they spent their money on stickers and paying for the petrol for such trips and entrance fees to competitions are all complete ****, every last one of them, I wouldn't give them a stinking penny, they pocket it all for themselves! :rolleyes:

I'm going to make a point in case about wayne g who runs boarderco and is a good friend of mine for more than a decade now. His product is certainly not rip off and is quite cheap by Irish and UK standards. He doesn't make a lot of money at all (if any!) and most of the time he's struggling to make ends meet BUT he does it to support skateboarding and Irish skateboarders. He sponsors kids, he gives out free product that he is paying for out of his own pocket, himself and Mike Keane got Ramp 'N' Rail up and running a few years back and all you can do is sit back and spit at them, well I find that rather disgusting to say the least.

Damn cool kids think you know it all but when it comes to the crunch you're just another "gimme" kid aren't you? I'll bet the savings you make don't even make a bit of a difference to you, do they? :p

I barely had a choice of anything to buy here when I first started skating, now you have all the choice in the world and all you can do is bitch and moan about it.

too f*cking right there (pardon the language). if it wasnt for these people you would have no option but to buy on-line. imagine that, you break your deck or something and then you would have to wait for one to be shipped from america. at least you have the option to buy skateboard stuff in ireland cos lets face it, its not exactly the most profitable place to set up a skate shop. at least a couple of skaters actually got off their arses and did something positive for skating in ireland. do you think these skaters are going home to a big mansion every night to swim in their pool ful of money? well their not! this sort of sh!t pisses me off, people like you should be greatful for the things these people have done for skateboarding in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 wayneg

Yeah , tact
    they are ungratful gits. why buy a board online when ya cant even see the shape! oh it has great grafics tho..... whichll make ya skate better,, stupuid! you are all gonna kill skateboading in ireland and when all the shops n parks close your all just gonna moan about it!!! well i told yas so!
    support irish skate businesses as they are support you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

Maybe some of this would actually matter if there were any good skaters in the country. Irish skaters are the sh*ts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GoofySkater

Maybe some of this would actually matter if there were any good skaters in the country. Irish skaters are the sh*ts.

the lad who just posted before you is sponsored by independant, globe, stimulus, red bull, skate city, eastpak, and owns boarderco.....

he switch hardfliped the baggot gap, which im pretty sure you would have no idea is, and also got the cover shot on one of the most popular british skateboard mags. So before you start naggin about no good skaters in ireland, do a rain check and backup your statement, as wayne is only one of many amazing irsh skaters out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

he wasnt. and thats why he shouldnt be making stupid statements without knowing what hes talking about. for the size of ireland and considering its climate theres actually a fairly decent amount of good skaters out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gothic Warrior

Any irish skaters I've ever seen have been terrible.

Any irish skaters I've ever seen have been terrible.

STRIKE 1! You're terrible, don't do that again!
    Consider this warning 1 and if you persist = temp ban, if persist too much after that and having been warned then = permanent ban.

Go flame or troll elsewhere you daffodil. Capiche?

I love facts and people who are enthusiastic about their sports/hobbies which are discussed here. I will not tolerate ****/trolls/flames on this forum because some GAA monkey wants to call skate monkeys ****e or whatever your personal issue is -- POST IT ON THE PI FORUM AND PISS OFF FROM HERE! You don't even skate do you? Therefore, don't have a bloody notion of what good is anyway :rolleyes:

go back to bed and when you get up, drink stronger coffee, not that nescafe insta crap :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

yeah man ur so right! i went in2 ramp city and bought a deck 4 50$ in d sale, i saw Zero decks 4 90$+ :confused: wat are ireland doing??? by the way tanks 4 dat website it was usefull, another good 1 is www.skatewarehouse.com tanks! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

can i ask what is the website 4 d 30-33 euro decks~?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭morbo

Irish skater do sort of fail to make any kind of impact! ANYWHERE!

morbo wrote:
    Irish skater do sort of fail to make any kind of impact! ANYWHERE!

Wrong, please back up your statement with fact. Did you miss the 3-5 page article in Englands biggest skatemag last month about IRELAND and IRISH skaters making an IMPACT? Go troll another forum or I'll remove your posting privileges.

duh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 silligum

Thanks alot for the websites it saved me a great deal of money,
    silligum

Advertisement