Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy birthday, Earth!

Options
  • 30-10-2004 1:10pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks -

Ok, it's a week late, but I hope that everybody was out on the streets last weekend, celebrating the Earth's 6,000'th birthday, according to the impeccable chronology set out by our very own Archbishop Ussher who pointed out that Creation occurred on October 23rd, 4004BC, and good on him for letting us know.

Actually, those with many fingers, or perhaps an abacus, will notice that it's actually the 6,009th birthday, but -- whatever -- make sure that you clap a Young Earth Creationist on the back soon.

- robin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Shouldn't this thread be on Christianity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

syke wrote:
    Shouldn't this thread be on Christianity?
    It's funny. Laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I read a good article recently (in The Irish Times, I think) about Ussher which said we are a bit unfair to the guy. He was pretty damn clever and well-read in the sciences. Before geology arrived to provide real facts, he used the only source of information available - the Bible - to calculate the age of the Earth. Plenty of others, Newton included, had a go at the same thing.

If he was alive today, he would probably draw on the best available evidence to come up with a truer estimate.

Plenty of others, of course, are still stuck in the 16th century. There was a worrying article in October's Wired about the sophisticated techniques Creationists are using in the US to get their twaddle onto the school curriculum.

Advertisement