Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITV - "Back Soon" message during films!

Options
  • 30-10-2004 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I was watching "The Rainmaker" on UTV (ITV whatever) the other night. I noticed that instead of having commercials every half-hour, they just cut to a "Back Soon" message with was complete with 80's cheesy MIDI music :/

I can understand people welcoming these breaks to get a cup of tea or go to the toilet, but I couldnt stand watching it and I changed channel many times, but luckily there was nothing else worthwhile watching on at the time.

Wouldnt it be a lot more logical for UTV to just ditch this message and let the movie run through? Or maybe they could let local business' advertise because that time slot (after midnight) isn't going to attract any of the high profile corporations.

Do you mind the Back Soon message or am I the only one who would rather the movie run through?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Perhaps some of the ITV stations do show ads during these slots whilst others do not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Always an odd one that...

The reason that the "Back Soon" message is there is that overnight, like so much of UTV's schedule is networked from ITV1 London. Now, in some parts of Britain, ad time is sold for the midnight-6am slot, but not much. UTV doesnt at all, so hence, UTV has the "Back soon" screen, while the rest of ITV1 probably has ads. UTV doesnt show the film the whole way through, as they dont transmit the programme, the ITV1 network does. It is up to the local studio to put ads in at the ad breaks, but UTV doesnt.

It also means UTV is on auto-pilot all night, and if it breaks down, gawd help the on-duty security guard! (and it has happened in the past!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I find it very annoying - they should have counter in the corner to let you know how much longer you have to wait before they're back (though, I think this about regular advertising too)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Can remember having to get @ $ AM one night alast year. Happened to leave my telly on UTV and instead of this "Back soon" message, I got a thing called "ITV nightscreen" which just shows images of new programming with a little bit of detailing on the side!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    Can remember having to get @ $ AM one night alast year. Happened to leave my telly on UTV and instead of this "Back soon" message, I got a thing called "ITV nightscreen" which just shows images of new programming with a little bit of detailing on the side!

That is on every night up to 5.30 am. Anything from 1/2 hour to 2 hours depending on how long the preceeding programmes are on for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement