Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio station with an aerial

Options
  • 30-10-2004 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

i have an old bunnyear areal at home. if i put it into my radio will it get more stations.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At a guess you mean "rabbits ears" and the radio is FM

If the radio has it's own aerial then it would probably be better. TV aerials are designed to operate at much higher frequencies so not ideal. 100MHz would have a 1/4 wavelength of 75cm - so something that length would be good. YOu can buy wire FM aerials like the letter T which should be better. I've not tried the circular FM ones like B&Q have so no idea if they are worth it.

For AM - MW/SW/LW the aerials would need to be different and turning the radio would probably help more - unless you have a large aerial.

If you have cable TV then should be able to use the piped signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The circular aerials out of B&Q are horizontal polorised but all broadcasters use either vertical or mixed polorisation nowadays

Rabbit ears (the V type as opposed to the O kind or the type that look like a small yagi which are designed for UHF frequencies) will work for FM

http://www.radiowaves.fm/Articles/OutdoorAerials.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

it,s a o type one

Advertisement