Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEEKLY POLL: Does Limerick Deserve the Bad Press

Options
  • 29-10-2004 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to klong for the suggestion

the phrase "Stab City" has hung around the neck of limerick for more than a decade, I know personally any time I tell people either in real life or on the internet that I'm from Limerick the first thing they will say is "ah stab city"

But Limerick is not the only place with crime. Dublin is the home of the likes of the Viper and the north has had a sudden upsurge of attacks on ethnic minorities.

So this weeks poll is, Does limerick deserve all the bad publicity.

if anyone has a suggestion for a poll you can either post it here or pm me.

Does the name "Stab City" fit Limerick 8 votes

Yes I believe it does
    0% 0 votes
    No its the same as every other city
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I agree with Klong.. it is a lot to do with the media.. I mean hassle in Cork is not generally portrayed in the same light on the news.. is it?

Things have escalated recently in Limerick, and there is a problem there that the gardai don't seem to be able to make a scratch on.

Having said that.. yeah every city has it's issues, and if the media branded each one with such a downbeat, unconstructive label such as "stab-city".. would you live in any city?!

think u need to look beyond labels, and gain your own experience of a place and base your opinion on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

On a side note, limerick could be losing its city status pretty soon. The current population is 52,000 and something, if it drops below 50,000 it loses the status. So it'd be stab town as opposed to stab city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I am undecided on this topic to be quite honest.

In the last twelve months we have had two major gangs feuding in the city resulting in four deaths. Limerick is one of those places where two families can end up fighting for as long as 30 years, some inter-family fighting as resulted in fatalities. I am not aware of anywhere else in the country where this goes on. I could be wrong though.

We also have the Likes of Liam Keane putting the whole judicial system into crisis with the nolle prosequi (spelling) result at his murder trial, followed by his two fingered salute to the nation. Is it any wonder that the media would go hopping mad when something like this happens.

We also had the pleasure of hosting the Central Criminal Court here in Limerick. No other city other than Dublin has done this, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

it doesnt deserve the bad press, its the same as any other place really.
    I think the meeja went hyper over here because (as I see it) there were a series of killings, all connected, all within a relatively short period of time; those involved in the feud werent afraid to say that they were involved- eg look at the television and newspaper pictures of one of the families celebrating after one particular murder (just cant think of it now).
    plus the fact that the meeja have realised that there is more to ireland than just dublin

Be careful here we would not like to get into trouble.

It was the ryan family that were celebrating with their mother after their week long "abduction" the fact that yer man of the Keanes was murdered around the same time was "coincidental."

now that I think of it, wasnt there an incident in Galway where two families had at it at a funeral, but I think they were members of the travelling community though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Limerick is the same as anywhere else, but the press loves to focus attention regarding crime on limerick- it keeps it off the sacred cow that is dublin...
    For example: about 6/8 weeks ago, a certain well known scumbag
    in Lmk. called {snip} got a hiding.he was'nt really hurt. This was on the RTE news at 6pm, second item. the FORTH item on the news, a shooting in clondalkin during a post office robbery(i'm not sure,but i think 2 people were injured).
    Don't get me wrong, I live in Dublin, am fond of the place, and have lots of good friends here.
    Many more of them seem to have been affected by crime(house breakin's/car's stolen etc.) than mates/family at home.

Check out page 40 in this report, the second last column especially.
    Now compare Dublin's and Limerick's figures.

G.

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/statistics/report2003/annrepstats2003.pdf

glynf

I doubt RTE refered to the individual you mention as a scumbag so I have removed his/her name on the basis that it might not be legally appropriate. We will have no labeling of people without evidence of current criminal activit. Even if they hae previous convictions, it is innapropriate to accuse them of being currently being involved in crime without either rock solid evidence,.

If you have evidence that this individual is still involved in criminal activity then i suggest you contact the Gardai and not post it here.

Let this be a warning. You will be banned for a week if you do it again.

Just some examples of crime that happened in a city other than Limerick

Gardai seek witnesses to a stabbing wich took place in Dublin

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1101/stabbing.html

A man stabbed in Ballymun and a second man stabbed in Arklow County Wiclow

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1101/stabbings.html

Arsonists Targeted Derelict house in Dublin

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1101/arson.html

Man escapes suspicious fire in Dublin

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/11/01/story173752.html

And this all happened in one night. and in the same part of the country. It would make you think.

I just thought I would add this little bit to the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Fair enough-appologies for mentoning names, but i belive in calling a spade a spade...

It is nothing to do with your views, its just the legal ramifications of mentioning names on a public forum

the link you provided though was fery informative though

• Advertisement

As this poll is now closed I am locking this thread

This weeks poll can be found here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement