Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fair city

Options
  • 28-10-2004 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

does anyone think that Aaron Harris alis garda miles byrne.. is simply the worst actor ever!!!
    His voice!!
    His smarmey smile... he should be cast as one of the low life people he is supposed to be catching..
    and now he is having an affair with his wife!!!
    come on.. who does that? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭DuFF-MAN

Yeah he tries too hard.
    I think the worst actor in that damned show is the shopkeepers mother. I don't know how to spell her name but, goes like "U-ness". Her voice just drills through my noggin!>> :mad: <<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

that show is vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Fair city (tut) more like fairly sh**y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

seriously, soaps should be banned, they come up with the same ol themes every week and its like hmm where have i seen this before.you can stop watching fair city for 3 years and then come back and catch up with the story line in 5mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

seriously, soaps should be banned, they come up with the same ol themes every week and its like hmm where have i seen this before.you can stop watching fair city for 3 years and then come back and catch up with the story line in 5mins.

Heh, remember Brookside, always after their "issues" episodes, there would be a "if you or any of your family are affected cleptomaniac lesbian dwarves with tourettes syndrome, you can call 1800 123456789 for advice".

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

gubby wrote:
    His voice!!
    His smarmey smile...

sounds like a lot of the coppers in the puzzle palace to me

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

five words for you's

fair city worst show ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭unme

Oh, I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand Fair City. I feel slightly normal now.

I don't know what people get out of watching soaps. Personally, I can't be bothered trying to believe characters that are soooo unconvincing.

Besides, I actually know a couple of people who go around in bad humour or upset after something bad or upsetting happens on their favourite soaps... Indulging in misery is not my thing, especially misery from the pen of some out-of-ideas screenwriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

i think ye are taking the fair city thing too seriously. It is the program that I get most enjoyment out of at teh moment on TV - bar proper television like The Sopranos and Curb Your Enthusiasm. It is a comedy, and should be viewed as such. None of the actors can act much - you would see better in any local drama group - move on from that.

Last night for instance, fat Damo, (the one who is looking after his two siblings, after his father strangled his mother - never mentioned again - before killing himself conveniently) was replaced on the six a side team by a character known as Robbo. We never saw Robbo, we never heard him speak, he was never at any of the team meetings in McCoy's pub. He was picked for the team ahead of Damo, as he had a gripe with the manager. Of course, Bela decided at half time to advise that Damo should come on for Robbo. So, Manager tells Robbo to take a rest. Again, no sign of Robbo character. You would think they could rustle up a couple of extra to fill the team, not fair city.

The other lad, councillors brother came back from Mars - where the entire Blue Dophin team and storylines now are - Does anyone seem to care about Nicola and her surgery?? - to play in the 5a side. No mention of his wife and kids if he has them, no idea where he is living. In short the best thing about fair city is it amatuerism, it doesnt hide it, i'm sure the crew aer trying their best but they know what Fair City is supposed to be, and to me they dont particularly care if they ham up so much of the stuff. It is hilarious.

The best example was during the summer when blue dophin was implacated in a robbery, and the police had to come in and confiscate their hardware. Hard Drives, I could see the benefit, but the cops came in and took the company's monitors, and fax machines. I still sont know what information they could have got out of those. Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I think the actor who plays Leo has the be THE worst actor in the world.... I went to see Apres Match a while back and they did a great sketch on Fair City and took the p**s out of Leo big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

Leo - Dave Duffy - is the greatest source of comedy in the program and should be given a spin off. Cant act for peanuts, when someones greatest method of portraying expressions is via hand movements you are always going to struggle. but there in lies the magic.

Has been a surprising amount of films with some respected actors. But one of the worst films Ive ever seen was on TV when visiting the states some years ago was Fatal Inheritance - major roles for both Bela and Leo - christ it was awful, based in Ireland, at least I havent seen it on Irish television yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Heh, remember Brookside, always after their "issues" episodes, there would be a "if you or any of your family are affected cleptomaniac lesbian dwarves with tourettes syndrome, you can call 1800 123456789 for advice".

Brookside was my favourite soap. The rest of them I'd watch if I was in But wouldn't go out of my way to watch them unless there was a particular storyline I was interested in. My favourite charactors were Grant and Tiffany.

As for the original poster Gubby - I totally agree with you. The worst actress in it though is Nicola. OMG she goes through me.

Gazzer - how do a guy like Leo get a woman like Lana. Totally unrealistic. As for Mags having a crush on her bro it is just funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I dont watch Fair City, the only time I see it is, when flicking through the channels.

Out of curiousity though, do they ever mention other parts of Dublin, "Leo's late, he caught in traffic in Drumcondra" etc.

Is Carrickstown north or south of the liffey?

Just curious because last week for the first time in years, I heard a character in Corrie mention the word 'Manchester' in years. Its always Weatherfield this, Weatherfield that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

If you ever listen to the Strawberry Alarm Clock on FM104 on a Friday morning at around 7.15 they always do a segment about Fair City and what has happened that week... they really take the p**s out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Before I begin I hate Soap,

Carrickstown is on the northside

and I've heard tell of Leeds on Emmerdale.

The best soaps are the american Daytime soaps they're just so bad they're funny.

There are times where Fair City can be good, every 2 years maybe, if they're lucky. They desprately want another Billy storyline, Bring him back from the dead. :)

I find Eastenders really annoying/depressing, espically the guy how runs the chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Mate, you're a genius. Grant and Tiffany were in Eastenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Elmo wrote:

They desprately want another Billy storyline, Bring him back from the dead. :)

The Billy storyline was pure class! and The Gift Grub version was even better!

"I think you need to go to the toilet Tracy"

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Morgans wrote:
    Has been a surprising amount of films with some respected actors. But one of the worst films Ive ever seen was on TV when visiting the states some years ago was Fatal Inheritance - major roles for both Bela and Leo - christ it was awful, based in Ireland, at least I havent seen it on Irish television yet.

OMG Fatal Inheritance! That was filmed in Skerries, where I live, and loads of people I know had parts as extras. Wasn't it something to do with a pregnant woman on the run from the IRA? I'd LOVE to see that movie - it's a shame it's never cropped up on the telly here - just for the laugh. Wonder if you can buy a copy somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Ahhhhhhhhh cmon fair city is not that bad,ok ok ill admit some of the actors, no wait ill rephrase that some of the people trying to act should not be in it...but its better than eastenders and emmerdale any day!!!

Who could forget Billy Mehan...now that was acting.....ill Bleeeedin Kill-ya Karole......hehe

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

LOL
    have to say I actually did laugh out loud when I read that,
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

oh god hes terrible is`nt he , over acting a bit i think , seriously though the worst thing i ever seen on a soap is dev and sunita`s wedding in corrie monday night , flippin hell man twas the worst most boring thing i ever seen jesus christ like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

oh my god................ leo has a cult following.......i'm not the only one. i only watch fair city with friends to see leo and his .'acting'..... he is sooooo bad it is hilarious

any one else a leo 'fan'. the hand movements??? whats with that???? even his hands dont seem to move like they are attached to him. ah gas man i love him.

the two detectives are also gas........is it for real. ????/ soo funny.

i like the way leos sitting room just opens out to the street. tehy dont make houses like that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fair City is oen of those things that I see 2 seconds off many evenings as I'm switching between channels but I don't think I've watched an episode or even part of an episode of it in about 10 years.

Is Bela still in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Is Bela still in it?

Indeed he is!

However his missus, Rita, has been reduced a jingling hand-bell sound coming from the wings since she had a stroke!

Edited to say, I'm ashamed I even know this!

Advertisement