Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Options
  • 07-08-2001 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

ahahahahahahhaaahahaa
    The title is so lame smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Gawd....

its not really, is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I had a feeling tha was wha second one was about.

My prediction of the SW saga:

The second one, follows the empire using clonse (against galactic law) To gain power. "THE CLONE WAR BEGINS" Obi 1 and vadar fight blah blah blah, some love scene bringing luke and leah mother into it. A event (such as something involving anakins mother due to hints in PM) which drives him to the dark side. He tries to defeat the emporer cue new sith apprentice whom he kills and takes his place beside the emporer.

3rd episode- Obi 1 trying to escape empire and the dark side. Vadar killing all the jedis (inc. Samual jackson etc) Yoda escaping, Obi 1 getting luke and leah to safety. Basicly a dark ending like ESB but with a ray of hope with luke. Cool fight scene between obi and vadar should exist biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

-tha is how i see the next 2 episodes. They are also squeezing in han solo or his dad boba fett and more of jabba into it aswell. (tha is where i see him becoming the dark one known as vadar.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlitzKrieg:
    I had a feeling tha was wha second one was about.

My prediction of the SW saga:

The second one, follows the empire using clonse (against galactic law) To gain power. "THE CLONE WAR BEGINS" Obi 1 and vadar fight blah blah blah, some love scene bringing luke and leah mother into it. A event (such as something involving anakins mother due to hints in PM) which drives him to the dark side. He tries to defeat the emporer cue new sith apprentice whom he kills and takes his place beside the emporer.

3rd episode- Obi 1 trying to escape empire and the dark side. Vadar killing all the jedis (inc. Samual jackson etc) Yoda escaping, Obi 1 getting luke and leah to safety. Basicly a dark ending like ESB but with a ray of hope with luke. Cool fight scene between obi and vadar should exist biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

-tha is how i see the next 2 episodes. They are also squeezing in han solo or his dad boba fett and more of jabba into it aswell. (tha is where i see him becoming the dark one known as vadar.)

</font>

just tosmack you down a bit, the empire didnt use clones a race called the spaarti did and they used the clones to wage war on the new republic.

and as for episode 3 end, its supposed to end with palpatines men dragging anakin/vader out of a volcano. earlier in episode 3 you see leah and luke as babies.

but rumor is that jealousy of amidala showing affection for obi wan is the trigger for anikans spiral into the darkside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Oh christ...thanks for the spoilers. Like everyone here obviously is a star wars fanatic who knows all that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

YEah well i went by wha i've seen in the 4 films not by any sources. (ok a comic or 2, but they didnt really say much) So i knew about clones because obi 1 said it in a new hope. And i assumed the 3rd one from comments like "He hunted down all the jedi" and the comment of obi 1 hiding luke and leah. The whole dark side thing i guessed because during Pm anakin gives all this slop about freeing his mother and promising nothing will happen to her etc etc. If u ask me that was defitnite bait for dark side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's spoilers here, so if you don't want to know, don't read it smile.gif

Anyways, most of this is from this months FHM:

The film will be more romantic and dramatic rather than action orientated - it'll obviously focus on Anakin and Padme's relationship.

However, the film also deals with the lead up to the clone war (which will be Ep3). The Rebellion are the bad guys this time, who break away from the Republic under the leadership of Ex-Jedi Knight Count Dooku. Palpatine proposes that clones should be used to quash the rebellion. The end of the movie will not be a happy one (perhaps akin to Empire Strikes Back?)

And here's various rumours:

The dark jedi's name is Darth Kimball who will battle Yoda(!) at the end. He will also feature in Ep3.

Jango Fett (Boba's father) will fight Obi Wan on a landing platform. Boba Fett will be in the Slave 1 ship. This scene apparantly features Matrix style martial arts.

There is a massive battle scene involving hundreds of Jedi and thousands of Droids. Mace Windu kills Jango Fett.

Count Dooku creates an army of clones from Jango's DNA - as payment, Jango receives a clone, a 12 year old version of himself called Boba.

The lightsabre duel at the end is Count Dooku Vs. Anakin. Dooku has a red and orange lightsabre, dubbed the 'flamesabre'.

That's all very interesting smile.gif

Even though I was their captive, the Indians allowed me quite a bit of freedom. I could walk freely, make my own meals, and even hurl large rocks at their heads. It was only later that I discovered that they were not Indians at all but only dirty-clothes hampers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Sounds like a TV3 series. When Clones Attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yellum:
    Sounds like a TV3 series. When Clones Attack.</font>

hahaha lol!! pld!!

"I know womanising has a bad rap, but it beats jogging" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I was thinking about this title, and when you think about it, it makes a lot of sense in the "grand" scheme.

* The Phantom Menace
    * Attack of the Clones
    * ?
    * A New Hope
    * The Empire Strikes Back
    * Return of the Jedi

The titles have never really been anything deeper than a quick hint at what happens in the movie, people just expect too much of Star Wars.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

All i have to say is star wars is sh*t and how can you like it ??? confused.gif

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Death Sentence:
    All i have to say is star wars is sh*t and how can you like it ??? confused.gif

</font>

Because it is quality Sci-fi ? Entertaining? Good story line? Good characters?

[This message has been edited by kaids (edited 08-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kaids:
    Because it is quality Sci-fi ? Entertaining? Good story line? Good characters?</font>

Was until Ep1 where Lucas raped the storyline to give the world Jar jar.

Star Wars 2: Send in the clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

<A HREF="http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010808l.gif&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    "La La La, I Can't Hear You"</A>
    Warning! Bold words used! tongue.gif

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Heard about "The Phantom Menace" as the title WELL in advance and most seemingly didn't like it... It grew, though, and it wasn't a bad title at all, after all...

Same here, I'd imagine... I don't think it's all that bad at all...

and it's official: http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2001/08/news20010806.html

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

One question how the hell did a mom called Amidaela and dad call anikcan (spelt wrong i know but who cares) come up with the rather normal names of LUKE and LEAHA i mean so many weird name and then 2 realy normal name i mean WHAT????
    Also the empire did use clone foo wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Was until Ep1 where Lucas raped the storyline to give the world Jar jar.
    </font>

This is one of the most typical comments I've heard about the Phantom Menace, and its so unfair. Almost eery fan of the original trilogy has come out and lambasted the fourth movie, and for completely invalid reasons.

Lets look at it.

The basic criticisms are :

1) Lucas screwed the style. Not enough action yadda yadda.

2) This movie is so lame. Horrid characters, hammy acting, rhubarb rhubarb.

3) Lucas has betrayed us, his faithful Star Wars fans, rhinocerous rhinocerous.

4) Whats with the name? I mean - what a stupid name. It should have been called blah blah.

4) Jar Jar.

All of this is complete pants.

Every Star Wars movie has been made to the same basic model.

The storyline follows the same basic lulls and peaks in terms of action. Each movie has introduced a new "kiddies character" each of which has met with varying degrees of success.

Ep 4 : R2D2 and C3P0. Almost universally hated by the critics and most adults. Loved by kids.

Ep 5 : Yoda. Ridiculed by adult and child alike. The guy never came across as a Jedi Master, just as some pointy-eared green shorty who couldnt talk right.

Ep 6 : Ewoks. Oh God. Ewoks. Kids loved them, adults wished they weren't so central as their "cutsieness" changed the whole tone of the movie.

Ep 1 : Jar-Jar. Same old same old. Talks funny, acts funny, cant be taken seriously, is pivotal to the story.

You are 20 years older....but the mechanism hasnt changed. You just remember the other characters from when you were young enough that they were cute and funny.

The only criticism which is a fair comment about the storyline and characters of Ep1 is that Lucas continued to use his 20+ year-old model for the story, which no longer suits the modern audience. As a result, the movie was less well received.

And as for the names....Well, Phantom Menace remains a weak name in my opinion, but the new title is well in keeping with Empire and Jedi, given that the first trilogy (eps 1 to 3) was originally supposed to be "Clone Wars" and not "Star Wars".

Ep1 was not targetted at the same people that Eps 4-6 were. It was targetted at the same age-group - often the kids of the people who watched the first trology. We go to see it and think "no way - the first trilogy was way cooler than this".

No, it wasnt. It was hammy, cheesy, featured annoying characters, and had dodgy special effects (even though they were cutting edge for their time). Everything we hate about Episode 1 was in Episodes 4, 5 and 6 as well.

All that has happened is that over the intervening years, the cinema-going audience has changed what they are looking for (Example - do you think Mary Poppins could be a hit today? Really?) while Lucas has tried to provide more of the same. It is probable that his style is outdated, and that the movie suffers from this. For this he is to blame - he has not read his audience successfully. Or maybe he has. Maybe young kids love Jar Jar. I know some who thought he was the funniest thing in the movie. I know others who hated him almost as much as so many of you guys seem to.

Secondly, we, the "Star Wars" generation have somehow come up with the attitude that finally Lucas was making the Clone Wars trilogy (original working title for Eps 1-3 back in the 80s) for us. Here, we are to blame.

Its simple - Lucas is doing what he did in the 70s all over again. Because he is no longer inventing mega-cool never-seen-before tech which allows him to produce a guininely groundbreaking SFX movie (and the first credible space opera IMHO) he no longer has the oomph factor which was a large part of Star Wars initial success. He is, however, telling the same style of story.

At the end of the day, if you dont like it, then dont go see the other two movies. Dont give Georgie Boy your hard-earned money. The movie will not break the mould. It will follow the same basic lines, and have the same good and bad points as every eingle other star wars movie ever made.

But please, please please give this "we were betrayed" or "Lucas has lost it" lark a rest, because it is so blinkered a view its not even funny.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

http://www.jediknight.net/3do/download/85.gif ...Pretty much says it all , A supremely crappy title frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Belisarius (edited 09-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Bonkey, your argument falls down when it comes to someone like me, who didn't see Star Wars until quite late in life. I watched all four films in my late teens, loved the first three (although Return of the Jedi is just a touch twee, and the Ewoks really do strike you as being added in purely for marketing purposes), Episode One struck me as a tragic waste of an opportunity. The strongest cast Star Wars has ever had... The best special effects... And yet the direction, and in many places the dialogue, was diabolical. Completely aside from Anakins ludicrous assault on the space station at the end, and Jar Jar Binks, the film was badly directed compared to the previous ones, and many of the scenes that could have been magnificent suffered from mundane camerawork and editing, while the jilted dialogue hammered the rest of it.

This film HAD R2D2 and C3PO in it (who, contrary to what you say, were not loathed by all, and nor was Yoda...), why did it need more semi-amusing moppets?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    This film HAD R2D2 and C3PO in it (who, contrary to what you say, were not loathed by all, and nor was Yoda...), why did it need more semi-amusing moppets?</font>

I didnt say they were loathed by all. I said *most* adults, and *almost all* critics. And *LOVED* by kids.

Yoda received much of the same reception.

As for C3P0 and R2D2 being in Ep1....so what? They were in Eps 5 and 6 as well, which didnt prevent the introduction of Yoda and Ewoks.

My point was that each episode introduced a new "cutesy" or "quirky" character, and Jar Jar was nothing new.

The hammy acting for Ep1 (despite the cast) was, AFAIK, deliberate. They wanted a certain feel to the characters, part of which involved the whole crap acting.

I would agree that the script wasnt great, but I dont think any episode has had a good script.

As for the directing....thats a fair criticism....except that the usual argument is that Lucas cant direct at all, and that the only well-directed movie was the one he had the least to do with. I would agree that Ep1 is peobably the worst directed movie, but I'll come back to that.

My personal feeling is that when we watch the older movies, we consciously or subconciously make allowances for the fact that they are quite old. We ignore the black squares around the TIE-fighters moving thru space, the incredibly hammy acting, the dodgy direction (in places), the crap scripts, etc. etc. We also excuse the movie for not being in a "modern format" because it is not a modern movie.

Ep 1 is a modern movie, but is in the 20+ year old format. This is its pretty damning flaw for the modern audience, but it is true to what the movie was always meant to be.

We can not look at it and make these allowances for age and era. We know it was made with a silly budget and established actors, so we cannot forgive Mark Hamill-esque hammery. We know the SFX are state of the art by a top-notch SFX crew, so we will not settle for anything less then perfection (which was never gonna happen).

Ep 1 is a harder film to like. I just re-read through my post, and made sure of something....I never claimed it was a good film.

I shouldnt have hopped on Hobbes' post, but almost every single star wars discussion inevitably turns into bashing Ep1, but for what I feel are the wrong reasons.

jc

p.s. LOL at describing your late teens as "quite late in life". Good one smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

That IS quite late in life, for me. Almost 85% of the way through! smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

FFS its called
    Star Wars: Attack of the Droids

"I can't speak for command, but I'm gonna clean the place out" - Jc Denton, Deus EX

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eh.. no it isnt, or were you being sarcastic? I couldn't really tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭OConnor

ROTJ would have been so much better if the Ewoks hadn't replaced Wookiees (as it was originally). Its a bit ridiculous, a Legion
    of the Empires most elite troops wiped out by 3 feet tall teddy bears armed with Sticks.
    But.. 7 feet tall wookiees ambushing them and snapping thier necks.. that'd have been nice biggrin.gif
    (probably not the best thing for marketing, or for kids).
    and....
    The lightsaber Battle at the end of Episode One ... made up for all its inadequacies. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Conorisco:
    FFS its called
    Star Wars: Attack of the Droids

</font>

FFS yerself :P

Try reading the OFFICIAL web site at http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/ and admit that YOU'RE WRONG!!! mwahahahahaha...

Oh... and ... WELL SAID bonkey! smile.gif

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Clones!NO!GANDHI!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    T
    A
    R
    T
    S

In Episode 2, you will find out that Boba Fett's dad, Jingo Fett, has an awfull lot to do with the story line... Seeing as they're probably using Jingo has the main clone creater. Boba Fett is only a small kid in Episode 2. The rest will probably play out like you can expect it... I hope to see allot of Mandalorian stuff involved in the next two episodes... Mandalorian's are probably the closet thing you can relate to as 'Ancient Romans'. So Mandalorian's rock. biggrin.gif

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

E
    N
    D
    S

[This message has been edited by Dark-Angel (edited 13-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

If they can clone then why not clone lots of Jedi's and get them to go around killin lots of innocent civilians..????
    That would make the movie!!

Advertisement