Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card app. - "anti money laundering"

Options
  • 28-10-2004 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I applied for a credit card today online with mbna, and at the end it told me to send or fax my bank statement for the last 3 months to them. According to the page its some anti money laundering thing to prove your address. I just wanted to check that this is common practice, and are there any risks in faxing you bank statement, ie would there be any details on the bank statement that could be used if it fell into the wrong hands, etc?

Kind of ironic question i know, since i just applied ONLINE :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Pretty much a standard procedure - different banks/ cc companies have different methods of verifying that:
    1) You exist
    2) you ar ewho you say you are
    This applies to all aplications, whether by post, phone or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Standard procedure. I applied online for an MBNA card a few months ago and they requested this information. I never got around to sending it in but recieved my card and cheque book in the post withen 2 weeks. Ah I thought. I bet they won't let me activate it? Wrong again. Never sent the info and still got the card with a huge credit limit. Very trusting of them. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Once you have the card you can use it, don't think they can turn around and request the bank statements now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Not that worried if they did. I just thought it was strange that they weren't following the new procedures that have been brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

gs39t wrote:
    I applied for a credit card today online with mbna, and at the end it told me to send or fax my bank statement for the last 3 months to them. According to the page its some anti money laundering thing to prove your address. I just wanted to check that this is common practice, and are there any risks in faxing you bank statement, ie would there be any details on the bank statement that could be used if it fell into the wrong hands, etc?

Kind of ironic question i know, since i just applied ONLINE :confused:

would have thought it was requested so that they could see how you ran your Bank account - i.e. they would look at credit turnover, unpaid items if any etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement