Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Smelly Cats

Options
  • 27-10-2004 5:49pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a dog person and i dont mind the odd cat, but i bought a house a couple of years ago and the old guy who was in it let cats use the garden as a toilet, the neighbours had about 7 cats last year, now there are only 4 adults but now there are 4-5 identical oldish kittens.
    I have built on an extension and paved the remaining garden , so they now cr-ap sleep, run, play, ride on my extension roof, They keep my security light on all night as it attracts moths, which they catch and eat. I have bought all sorts of crystals and stuff that smells worse then Jeyes Fluid,
    On firday i covered the place in the anti cat pepper stuff that i got in atlantic home care, and one of the bXXtards was asleep in the pot i covered by sunday. I bought the last cat frightner in atlantic on friday also, its motion operated and I have tried all the settings, they seem to love it, i dont want to have it on constantly as they do live next door and there are dogs arround too.
    Recently in London I saw these sheets of spiky things that they had all over the walls and fences to stop birds from landing in the ares.
    Strategicly placed these would stop them from getting into the garden in the first place but nobody knows what I'm talking about in the garden /hardware centres.
    These will only hurt each cat once as water filled glasses, smelly stuff, lemons, ultra sonic sound, pepper, me chasing them with a hurley etc will not work,
    anyone know where to get them, or a better idea (i dont want to shoot them, the neighbours should really get them all fixed cos they are multiplying) and i dont want them hurt anyway

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Get a dog. He'll keep 'em out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Stoner I think know the things you mean!!! I saw them in america last week not that thats much use to you. It's like a sheet of plastic with little spikes sticking up on it like this right!? Have you tried spraying them with water - they won't like that and if you do it a few times they should get the message or if you put a tray of water where they are jumping up on they won't like that either. We had the same probs with cats using our garden as a a toilet - we tried jeyes fluid, orange peels, tea tree oil and pepper but they didn't work. The only thing that worked for us was sprinkling some of our (house)cat's used litter in the flower beds. Did you try that stuff thats meant to be feramones(sp?) - they won't go into the garden if the smell a bigger/stronger cat there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

get grease or something and grease your shed all the sides of it , and put tar or something on top. anytime you see the cats in your garden, try and soak them in water, they hate water

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

LOL so I'll be like batman with my yellow accessorary belt with, lemons, pepper, tar, grease, oraganes, tiger sh1t and a super soaker water pistol,

I'll try the grease, I dont have a big house cat, but I actually can get my hands on some tiger sh1t as i know people who work in the zoo,
    tk123 , your correct they kind of look like those spikes but not a big or mad looking, although I could use the spikes for my Mad Max suit on sunday as i go from door to door, seriously though the grease might work but these sheets of smaller spikes would do the trick too, the tray of water would maybe work a little but the area to cover is too big and i dont really want the neighbours to know what I'm up to, these spikes are only about 1/4 inch long at a max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Tell the neighbours to keep their cats out of your garden. It's their responsability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

to tell you the truth daveg your prob correct, however it is very possible that the old guy who lived in the house before us owned and fed all these cats, he had 12 foot high hedges etc and did not mix with the neighbours, when he died the neighbours may have started feeding the cats out of good will, and apart from good morning and Hello I dont really have much to do with the neighbours and they never complained when i built the extension, but according to the experts if you feed a cat the you have to take responsibility for it and get it fixed, so these new arrivials are deff theirs.

just found this
    http://www.deteracat.co.uk/products/catspikes.html

Lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

That is sooooo cool :D

Hope it works for you.

How come people either hate or love cats. It's strange.

(an electric fence can have interesting results too. cruel tho)

its vert expensive though, as the capping on my wall is 18 inches so its about 12.5 /M cos if i dont cover the whole of the capping the cats will just walk on the uncovered part and laugh in the window at me, so i'm looking for a less expensive supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

You could cover the wall every couple of feet instead of the whole thing, or if they have a "favourite" section, cover that instead. Should keep the cost down a wee bit.

Either that, or buy one of these

LOL,
    I guess I could , but I dont want to hurt them, I've had plaenty of chance to kick em etc one got into my car the other day, they are very friendly. I've located two other places
    http://www.network-pest.co.uk/
    and the prika strip

http://www.queenswood.co.uk/index2.shtml

the above is half the price of the others, I'm assuming that this might be of interest to others???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

lol the water thing would be perfect they dont like being sprayed with water!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Get a tiger!

Prob the best value yet (even though I place the order for the other stuff on Friday. I got three of my friends over the weekend with lemon juice, bought the plastic lemon ones in Lidl and got them as they warmed their bums on my car, changing the car in the new year so I'll have to have them out by then.
    E mail reply as follows

Yes we do. The products details are as follows

Code MIS003
    Description Pricklet Strip, 18” x 2”
    Pack Size Each
    Price £ (ex VAT) 1.15

If you wish to place an order, please ring us from 8.45am – 5pm Monday to Friday.
    Kind Regards
    Paul Haworth
    Marketing Co-ordinator

Network Pest Control Systems Ltd.
    1030 Centre Park
    Slutchers Lane
    Warrington
    Cheshire
    WA1 1QR
    Tel: 01925 411 823
    Fax: 01925 414 994
    email: paulhaworth@network-pest.com
    web: www.network-pest.com

Just to let everyone know, the cats all initially gave the spikes a go, but soon learned not to walk on em, so they work

Advertisement