Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite way to read a book!!

Options
  • 27-10-2004 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

ok, use your eyes, yuk yuk, but seriously I was watching the view last night and one of the reviewers talked about sitting up in bed with a big tub of icecream and his book. Going to bed early etc. Does anyone have any particular way to set themselkves up for a good read?
    Personally, depending on the time of day, I enjoy a nice hot tea and plateful of wretchedly gorgeous chocolate biscuits...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I can't see how a tub of icecream is going to add to your enjoyment of a book (unless it's a book about icecream).
    I prefer not to have distractions like food or having to sit upright... I just read sideways with my head on the pillow and my elbow holding the page open... mmmm I haven't slept all night, so this is sounding really good right about now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

I prefer it with a couple of cans to be honest!.....you'lll notice yourself slowly getting drunker and more into it!hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I've just rearranged my room so I have a nice little corner spot on the floor for reading now. I don't like having food etc.. with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

In bed preferably.

If I'm on the luas I tend to listen to music as a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Peace and quiet. Sometimes even car horns outside can distract me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In bed for me.... Either at night, or for 2 or 3 hours on a Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

Trigger! wrote:
    I prefer it with a couple of cans to be honest!.....you'lll notice yourself slowly getting drunker and more into it!hehe
    you read????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Favourite place to read is definitely in bed, as comfortable as possible. No distractions, mug of hot chocolate, some nibbles and then get lost in whatever I'm reading.

I'll read anywhere though, and if the book is good enough then it takes a lot to distract me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

As most people - in bed, sometimes I like to have a bit of easy-listening music on!!!

Pure relaxation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I'll read anywhere if there's nothing better to do! Although I currently end up reading late at night in bed. Sometimes with beer.

• Advertisement

anywhere reall but quite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Yes Cajun Tiger i do read and you know that! :p ....Yeah generally its got to be quiet with no other distractions like tv or music!.....I just keep looking away then and get nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Anywhere quiet and warm, have taken to reading on the train lately which i have never been able to do before because i always lose concentration.
    But if its a 'un-putdownable' i can generally read it anywhere.

But in bed is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Best place to read is on a relatively empty train.
    Save that, a café with comfortable seats and good coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Somewhere peaceful, comfortable.

I can't read and eat at the same time.

When you really get into a book, you forget about your body being there at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

cafe or.... a pub! strange but true. it's a nice way to unwind and pints last for hours when the book is good.

i read in the rain yesterday.... was strange.... but really needed to finish that book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

LoLth wrote:
    cafe or.... a pub! strange but true. it's a nice way to unwind and pints last for hours when the book is good.

Very strange, do you not lose concentration very easily?
    I would never think of going into a pub to read, altho it does combine two of my favourite hobbies so maybe i'll have to reconsider. I do read in cafe's
    but it would be my least favourite way of reading a book, I always feel obliged to leave once I have finished my food, tea etc, and therefore I can't really get stuck into a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On the toilet. I can't get comfortable anywhere else.

If I read in bed, on my side, then I get pins and needles in my hand from holding my head, and then have to roll on my back, and hold the book up, which then gets uncomfortable again....

On my stomach, book in front of me works, but my shoulders and neck get sore after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

seamus wrote:
    but my shoulders and neck get sore after a while.

I find that putting a pillow under your chest helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

sitting on the outside seat of the bus, while the person sitting beside me falls asleep and takes up three quarters of the seat and the person standing beside constantly pokes me with their umbrella or hitting me in the head with their elbows. .... it's the only way I can get comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Lying on my side; when I get tired, I'll switch sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

In bed, mostly. But I'm very fond of reading in a comfy chair (or curling up on a couch, if there's room) by a good fire in cold weather. Christmas is great for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Lying on my stomach with a pillow under my chest and the duvet pulled up to just cover my shoulders.

Failing that, lying back on the couch with a hot fire going after Christmas dinner (guess what I'm looking forward to doing on Christmas day?) :)

But these days I tend to do a large amount of my reading on the train, great way to make the journey go quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Best place to read is on a relatively empty train.
    Save that, a café with comfortable seats and good coffee.
    What this man said! On a train travelling somewhere far away to meet someone you're dying to see. Failing that, on a train leaving behind a dear friend for what could be a very long time. It's a great way to take your mind of the anticipation/regret and everything aquires some kind of poignancy.

Planes aren't near as nice, too much white noise, the train has a rythem to it's motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

oooh in bed all tucked up with a cup of tea, some bickies and plenty of munchies.. nice and cosey :) If I'm reading on a bus or train I have to have my earphones on.. music all the way to drown out all the muttery spluttery background noise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

In bed, before I go to sleep and sometimes just after. The added bonus is you stay in bed longer and feel some sense of achievement as you progress in the book (something I haven't done much of lately)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I'll read anywhere at all, the best is probably sitting in deckchair on a warm august afternoon, you know the ones, the slightest brezze to facilitate turning the pages if you set up your chair right. No drinks/food, as these cause increased biological demands.

I've come home locked a few times, and started reading, i read the first two hundred pages of War and Peace, where the introduction to all the characters is done, I picked up where i left off the next morning and hadn't a clue what the hell was going on, so i had to start again, also reading made my hangover substantially worse. So no beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Curled up, lying on my side, prefrably snug in bed r sitting with my knees up, or legs crossed...i cant study in college unless i can sit with my legs crossed in an indian kinda position...v strange, but it works..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

In a hammock, in a hot country, by the ocean with a few pre-rolled spliffs by my side. I got through 2 books a day for 2 months in this manner.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~echomadman/betterdays.jpg

failing that, on the couch in my room, background music on, with aforementioned accessories, I must get round to making and putting up a hammock in the room though, they hold you in the optimum reading position without the need for constant repositioning you get when reading in bed/lying on the couch.

Advertisement