Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Jazz Festival

Options
  • 26-10-2004 11:27pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I went to see Mingus Big Band on Sunday night, they were fantastic. Although they didn't play for as long as I would have hoped, even though it looked like they wanted to - something about a cerfew time in the Opera House, it was a bit disappointing. But as always it was so great to see them live (Ronnie Cuber on baritone sax this time too, what a legend).

And before them played the Babatunde Lea, that was brilliant. A mix of african rhythms from Lea on drums & congas, latin bebop from the piano and lovely coltrane-style tenor sax. I hadn't heard of them before, but I'll definitely be looking out for their next album when it comes out, they played some great tunes from it. They had Bobby Watson ("artist in residence") as a guest on alto sax too, he was phenomenal. They got a well-deserved standing ovation at the end.

Anyone else see any good gigs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

Saw Avishai Cohen in the Everyman and the Met. Damn fine trio. The recent album sold at the gigs is great too. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Hi,

I also caught Patricia Barber and Joe Loocke. Barber was a quirky mix of haunting voice compositions with interesting chord movements and odd time sigs. Her guitarist and drummer were cery individualistic.

Loocke was virtuoso vibe player but Tommy Smith on sax stole the show with his Coltrane type over blowing and intensity.

The Cannonball Alderly Experience also featuring some real old jazz gurus from Art Blakey's and Wayne Shorter's groups. Fantasic swinging sounds.

Steve

Advertisement