Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fag ball?

Options
  • 26-10-2004 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

ok now i know this word is quite offensive yet the college i attend either held or is going to hold an event called fag ball...
    now there was much discussion about the name of it...i for one disagree with the glb or anyone else using the term fag or **** but was informed that this is a name that is used across the country in many colleges for this event...
    is this true or were they just trying to get people to stop attacking the name?
    has anyone heard of this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

First I heard of it. It was always called the LGB ball in my college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm sure I've hear of a fag ball in UCD....or somewhere, I mean really Stark, LGB ball doesn't roll of the tounge, does it? I've hear "fag ball" before never heard "LGB ball"*.....isn't as catchy :confused:

*This coming from someone with the social life of a stunned herring, so take with large amounts of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Hasn't there been a Fag ball running for a couple of years in Maynooth now? During rag week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Hey OfflerStraightCroc you forgot to say you're not gay ;)

Think the idea of using the term "Fag Ball" is to get people to discuss the word and the motives behind why some use the word to spread hate. I suppose making the world all happy and clappy might be a way for the gay community to make it a word that will stop being used as an insult.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've heard the term used before alright. I'm assuming the thinking is broadly like the way certain rally groups got black people to use the word n!gger to steal the hate conotations behind it. Certainly gay people use it in relation to each other at times. Be interesting to see if it's working or still seen as mildly derogatory by people as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

moridin wrote:
    Hasn't there been a Fag ball running for a couple of years in Maynooth now? During rag week?
    Tinsel is talking about Maynooth alright
    damien.m wrote:
    Hey OfflerStraightCroc you forgot to say you're not gay
    ;)
    Offler is a m8 of mine & I can tell ya, he's def str8

Now....back to the topic....I have no problem with the event being called FAG Ball. Calling it LGB would be discriminatory in itself & would be suggesting that hetrosexuals would not be welcome. We as a minority group do not want to be discriminated against and should therefore not create events whos very title could be interpreted as discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

fletch wrote:
    Offler is a m8 of mine & I can tell ya, he's def str8

Thus my joke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

damien.m wrote:
    Thus my joke ;)
    oh damien, you're such a fag!

I'm not gay, I'm just posting here because I'm in tune with society and it's hip to be in with the homos ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

fletch wrote:
    Calling it LGB would be discriminatory in itself & would be suggesting that hetrosexuals would not be welcome.
    And calling it a Fag ball isn't disciminatory? Don't get me wrong, I don't care what you call it, but rejecting one name on grounds of discrimination, and coming up with another that is equally discriminatory seems to be a self defeating exercise to me.

On another note, yes the term fag can be quite offensive. It has it's origins in the days when homosexuals were burned along with witches on the stake. Faggót is an archaic term for small wood tinders that were used to keep a fire going. Although the meaning has evolved somewhat, I wouldn't recommend using it for a ball event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

A word is a word, it is neither good or bad, the message behind it is all that is important.

I'm not gay, and I shoot you i nthe face if you say otherwise ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement