Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Taxi's - WHAT A SHAM!!!

Options
  • 26-10-2004 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can someone please tell me how ye put up with this in Dublin??????? Visiting the 'capital' on sunday for a bit of a piss up & I have to say that my night was completely ruined because of the lack of taxi's - well actually there were lots of taxi's around but would they stop - NO!! What is it? Do they not want to make any money or something? I left the pub about 1.30ish & was still on the quays at 5.00am in the pissing rain trying to get a taxi - that is such a joke, For all the **** acting that the cab drivers did when the lisences were being given out more freely, I personal think it was a disgrace!! I go out at lot in galway, limerick & cork & I have to say that I have NEVER put down a night like I did in dublin on sunday!

Can you tell me is there a trick to getting a cab in the city or is it really just pot luck????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ravenhead wrote:
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can someone please tell me how ye put up with this in Dublin??????? Visiting the 'capital' on sunday for a bit of a piss up & I have to say that my night was completely ruined because of the lack of taxi's - well actually there were lots of taxi's around but would they stop - NO!! What is it? Do they not want to make any money or something? I left the pub about 1.30ish & was still on the quays at 5.00am in the pissing rain trying to get a taxi - that is such a joke, For all the **** acting that the cab drivers did when the lisences were being given out more freely, I personal think it was a disgrace!! I go out at lot in galway, limerick & cork & I have to say that I have NEVER put down a night like I did in dublin on sunday!

Can you tell me is there a trick to getting a cab in the city or is it really just pot luck????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Welcome to nightlife Dublin!! :rolleyes: You are a girl too, right!? You have no chance if you are a bloke. I've spent many a night walking homewards and getting the first buses....

I thank the day i moved into the inner suburbs...taxi costs 6euro at most from the spire and if none available tis only a 25min walk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh and their prices are ridiculous, I got a taxi from Ranelagh to Dame St on Saturday night & it cost €7.60!
    When I was on holidays in Gran Canaria, I never waited more than a min for a taxi and never paid more than €4, even for journeys that were more than twice the length than the one just described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

RuggieBear wrote:
    Welcome to nightlife Dublin!! :rolleyes: You are a girl too, right!? You have no chance if you are a bloke. I've spent many a night walking homewards and getting the first buses....

I thank the day i moved into the inner suburbs...taxi costs 6euro at most from the spire and if none available tis only a 25min walk

There wasn't even nitelinks running - we waited there by the centra shop for about an hour & nothing came!!! & in the end it cost of €25.00 to get back out to malahide!!! Talk about a night ruined! is it because it was a bank holiday or is it like that anyway?

Yeh there is no nitelink service on Sundays...god you would imagine dublinbus would have enough cop-on to realise that being a bank holiday, more people than usual might actually be going out :rolleyes:

ravenhead wrote:
    There wasn't even nitelinks running - we waited there by the centra shop for about an hour & nothing came!!! & in the end it cost of €25.00 to get back out to malahide!!! Talk about a night ruined! is it because it was a bank holiday or is it like that anyway?

Oh i wasn't talking about the nitelinks...just the normal 6.30 - 7am buses :D

Not really sure how it works on a bank holiday tbh....

i'd given up staying out late in town due to the lack of travel options home to Bray. Instead i'd just go out drinking earlier and get the last bus/DART....sad but true! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

im very lucky as one of my mates has just got a taxi plate... dropped to the door of the club and back home. feckin excellent.

RuggieBear wrote:
    Oh i wasn't talking about the nitelinks...just the normal 6.30 - 7am buses :D

Not really sure how it works on a bank holiday tbh....

i'd given up staying out late in town due to the lack of travel options home to Bray. Instead i'd just go out drinking earlier and get the last bus/DART....sad but true! :eek:

God that's such a pain, I suppose I'm so used to just walking out onto the street & getting a taxi - this all seems so annoying to me, I really don't know why you would bother even going out in the city if you lived up there! especially with the price of drink then on top of it! You really do have it though up there !!! Give me down south anytime!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, they're ridiculous alright. In general, most taxis head for the taxi ranks, to pick people up there, that's why they don't pick you up on the side of the street.

There are a few places you can go to expediate your getting a taxi, but you'll have to walk a while and/or still wait a while. Two places most notably - walk westwards up the north quays. Once you get to Capel St, many taxis are coming back into the city after dropping someone home, so it suits them to pick you up, and do U-ey (HTF do you spell that?) over the bridge. Saves them going back into town.

Also, on Pearse St, walk past the Fire Station and wait there. You should be able to get a taxi.

In general, the further you go out of town, the easier it'll be to nab a taxi heading back into town. Problem is that the busiest routes (Rathmines, Donnybrook) tend to have loads of people doing the same thing. Where it's easier to get a taxi, it's less safe, particularly for a girl.

Taxis are the reason I always get the nitelink. On time, nice and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont get taxis if i can avoid it. However any time i have decided to get one i have no problems. Last time there was 5 or 6 of us and we had no problem getting a cab, we even refused one or two to get a big one home. That was a Saturday night too!!
    Maybe it is down to look, if you look like trouble they might not stop. Your best bet is to find a taxi dropping someone off and then jump in before he can pull off.. he cant refuse you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

seamus wrote:
    Taxis are the reason I always get the nitelink. On time, nice and cheap.

taxis are a reason I moved into the city centre

• Advertisement

ravenhead wrote:
    God that's such a pain, I suppose I'm so used to just walking out onto the street & getting a taxi - this all seems so annoying to me, I really don't know why you would bother even going out in the city if you lived up there! especially with the price of drink then on top of it! You really do have it though up there !!! Give me down south anytime!!!!

Aye....i've more or less stopped going to clubs now and only go for a few pints with my mates.....couldn't be arsed with travel problems getting home (but also have a girlfriend now so don't need to go on the pull, i'm getting old, i'm poor and just couldn't be bothered with this new music everybody is listening too :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I step outside the door, nod at a taxi driver and I'm home in a few minutes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

its best to go and stand at the rank across from trinity on college green.. you may be queuing, but at least you get a taxi.....

Victor wrote:
    I step outside the door, nod at a taxi driver and I'm home in a few minutes. :rolleyes:

When you say "nod"...you mean headbutt the taximan and rob his vehicle, don't you...!? ;)

its best to go and stand at the rank across from trinity on college green.. you may be queuing, but at least you get a taxi.....

i've seen quite a bit of violence at those queues... :eek:

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I would tend to stay away from the rank's in Dublin , If there is going to be trouble thats where youll find it . If possible call your local Taxi company 10-15 minutes before you are ready to fall out of your chosan pub and hay presto ...fall into a taxi .

RuggieBear wrote:
    i've seen quite a bit of violence at those queues... :eek:

I tend to see a lot of violence in dublin full stop...

I was in the village on camden st on saturday night. I was waiting for a mate who was queuing at the boi atm. Some ozzie dude just off the plane was chatting to his mate and some random scumbag came up to him and gave him sh1t.

Of course the ozzie dude not knowing dubling scumbags told him to fcuk off...
    random scumbag then smacks him one in the face with his soverign ring and teeth are lost.... random stupid insane violence...

dublin... you gotta love it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fletch wrote:
    Yeh and their prices are ridiculous, I got a taxi from Ranelagh to Dame St on Saturday night & it cost €7.60!
    When I was on holidays in Gran Canaria, I never waited more than a min for a taxi and never paid more than €4, even for journeys that were more than twice the length than the one just described.
    If you think thats bad, according to the official book, the taxi to Leixlip is about €35, but because its outside Dublin (right next to Lucan, tho), taxi's have been known to charge you €75+

=-=

On the side of a road, they are known to give girls a lift, they sometimes pick up couples, and never pick up if there's more than 2 guys in the crowd that's thumbing.

=-=

Myself, I get a Nitelink home. It costs €4, and the ticket can be gotten before I go drinking, so if my money runs out, I can just stagger on to the Nitelink (tho, I prefer some chips first, from Abrakadabra, Mac D's, or BK).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

heading northside?

walk as far as connoly train station ,
    if you havent got a taxi by there your probably naked and waving a sword.

I was in the village on camden st on saturday night. I was waiting for a mate who was queuing at the boi atm. Some ozzie dude just off the plane was chatting to his mate and some random scumbag came up to him and gave him sh1t.

random scumbag then smacks him one in the face with his soverign ring and teeth are lost.... random stupid insane violence...

Yeah when you think about it, I really don't know why we bother coming up to go out in dublin, I mean the nightlife isn't that great & you have to put up with so much crap up here, me thinks me will suggest somewhere more local for my next get together!!

• Advertisement

Actually that's one of the reasons myself and my brother don't use the Nitelink equivalent (finegan's private bus service) to Bray anymore....used to get started on by teenagers trying to impress their girlies....we are both quite big lads (rugby playing background) and these children would just try and bait you and then if you ignore them, try and cold-cock you...used to make travelling home very unpleasant. Don't know why we kept attracting these muppets to us.... :confused:

Chalk wrote:
    heading northside?

... or as the case will probably be... be robbed of all your clothes and be stabbed by a sword!!!!

connolly??? are you mad!!!

... or as the case will probably be... be robbed of all your clothes and be stabbed by a sword!!!!

connolly??? are you mad!!!

beat me to it.....are ye crazy!!!? :eek:

the_syco wrote:
    If you think thats bad, according to the official book, the taxi to Leixlip is about €35, but because its outside Dublin (right next to Lucan, tho), taxi's have been known to charge you €75+
    Heard stories similar to that alright, people going to Clonee in Meath & being charged €75 even tho its only a few miles outside Dublin...(some people actually give their address as Clonee, Dublin 15)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

why would i be mad...
    walk from temple bar to connoly is five minutes, theres always load of taxis around there

fletch wrote:
    Heard stories similar to that alright, people going to Clonee in Meath & being charged €75 even tho its only a few miles outside Dublin...(some people actually give their address as Clonee, Dublin 15)

Yep Bray is the same....just outside Dublin County....means the taxidrivers double the fare

Chalk wrote:
    why would i be mad...
    walk from temple bar to connoly is five minutes, theres always load of taxis around there

... your life and valuables at risk perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Chalk wrote:
    heading northside?

Was it you gaping @ me? :o I was going to a fancy dress party, as The Naked Swordsman :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

taxi women make me SO hot thinking about them commanding the big car

• Advertisement

taxi women make me SO hot thinking about them commanding the big car

...thank you for sharing that :eek:

Advertisement