Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amelie from Montmartre....

Options
  • 12-07-2001 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Delicatessan is probably my favorite foreign language film of all time, even above Crouching Tiger and Hard Boiled. I heard this film is great, but is it ever coming to ireland. The only way i can see it happening is through limited release in the IFC, which is not convenient if you life in the wilds of the west...

Who is The Beefy King ?

Owing to an administrative error, the Pope had been replaced by Lemmy from Moterhead...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

or, if you prefer it in the original :

"Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain"

Latest film by French directing genius Jeunet, who would be resaonably well known for such subline work asw Delicatessan, and perhaps even La Cité des Enfants Perdus... aka The City of Lost Children.

Or you may know him better from his work on Alien Resurrection.

This latest film is a gem of French cinematography. Colourful, humourous, and utterly sublime.

The story is utterly indignificant, but totally engrossing. It is delivered at times by a narrator, at times by the actors.

For anyone with a good grasp of French, I can only recommend you see this in the vernacular.

Be warned, Jeunet's style is not to everyone's taste - he is quirky (to put it mildly). However, having been an unexpected smash in France (and here in Switzerland), I think this film is well worth a watch if you ever get the chance. Keep an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

really enjoyed this. beautiful cinematography, vibrant lush colours. witty and and not afraid to be stylish. kinda think it's a guy's chick-flick. cute, tomboyish gal makes all the running in bedding stumbling guy who suddenly blooms into life once the unplucked beauty beds him. asked work colleague if she was going to see it. "is she passive aggressive? then no! i hate passive aggressive women!" (whatever that means). yet thinking back to the cinema i saw it in, the audience was predominantly female, and they seemed to love it (the orgasm scene produced the best laugh, i think). fyi, some gd comments in paul byrne's interview with jeunet in the cin sect of wow.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Amazing film. Went to see it on a whim, not knowing
    anything about it, and left the cinema with a smile
    on my face.

I read a few reviews afterwards (imdb, etc) and generally,
    it's getting praise all round, but some people say it would
    be a brilliant film, if only it were a bit shorter...

I don't know, I thought it was 'just right' as goldilocks
    would put it. Cinematography blew me away, right from
    the start. The bit I laughed at, was her mother getting
    killed (if you haven't seen the film, don't worry, you'll laugh
    at it too, I'm not a prick ;) )

if you're haven't seen it, GO now.

i heard on another board (the gruan) that tom paulin slated it on late review. would have loved to have heard that! (i ***love*** tom paulin, especially becuase he's such a miserable git most times).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Plastic, Amelie is showing in the following cinemas in Dublin (for the last week anyway) :
    IMC
    Ormonde, Stillorgan
    Screen
    Ster Century, Liffey Valley
    UCI Blanchardstown
    UGC

Go to entertainment.ie and search for your county in the cinema section (It is on in Galway for a start

Heard good things, looking forward to going to see it next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Yup, I saw it in the Omniplex in Galway about two weeks ago. It charmed the pants off me. Managed to keep all of Jeunet quirkyness while being utterly sweet.

I was going to be suckered from the start anyhow - Amelie bears more than a passing resemblance to my beloved girlfriend in her looks and ways. :)

Anyhow, it's still there - at least till tomorrow. I'm sure there's a good chance it'll run for another week at least.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Kix
    Yup, I saw it in the Omniplex in Galway about two weeks ago. It charmed the pants off me. Managed to keep all of Jeunet quirkyness while being utterly sweet.
    Dubbed, or in the original French?

While most UK reviewers are loving the dubbed version, Jeunet himself feels that the film loses so much because they had to cut chunks from the long soliloquays so that it could be "fit in" in english.

Course, if you dont speaka da lingo, having a non-dubbed version would be a bit useless.

Either way, still a damn good movie :)

jc

sub titled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Brilliant, wonderful, beautiful (film and girl), stylish, quirky, funny film. if you havnt seen it, do so.

Advertisement