Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer games in postgrad res

Options
  • 26-10-2004 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

2 questions really,
    1) anyone in res up for some network gaming anytime?
    2)Anyone got a clue as to how we might petition for access to game servers off the DCU network?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

the steam ports are already open for CSD labs and normal res.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

dregin wrote:
    the steam ports are already open for CSD labs and normal res.

ok,and in layman's terms that would mean....

If you dont know what steam is it doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Steam is used for playing the likes of Counter-strike and normal res I presume are to do with the resolution the game is played at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Sniipe wrote:
    Steam is used for playing the likes of Counter-strike and normal res I presume are to do with the resolution the game is played at :)
    incorrect :P
    Res == "residences". the DCU accomodation

• Advertisement

I know what steam is, are you saying that the only game servers we can access are those running half-life based games?......'cause that would be awesome

I know what steam is, are you saying that the only game servers we can access are those running half-life based games?......'cause that would be awesome

yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Your missing out on serious Battlefield fun, unless we change the port on servers again to please ye Res boys.

oh and Battlefield too!!!!!.....so am I to understand that there are games of counterstrike, and battlefield to be had all along and I wasn't told? :mad: and I don't need to change any of my connection settings to get access to these?

join #dcu on quakenet and see if ya can connect servers on student res. If you havent used IRC before check this thread for settings and stuff
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=191125

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

been playin counter strike source recently, mostly lunch time and 5 to 7 ish, 6 of us, if anyone else is could have a bigger game maybe

There are about 6 other people playing on res. Again go to the quakenet channel and organize something there. It's the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

2)Anyone got a clue as to how we might petition for access to game servers off the DCU network?

Well since gaming is specifically against CSD rules on their network, you'd be doing well to convince them to open the ports :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

markpb wrote:
    Well since gaming is specifically against CSD rules on their network, you'd be doing well to convince them to open the ports :p
    Actually we (being CSD) got a request from a postgrad res student to open ports for Eve online. I logged the request myself. I believe that the ports were opened for him.
    If you want to try and get ports opened you can send an e-mail to either helpdesk(at)dcu.ie or student.helpdesk(at)dcu.ie and the request will be logged. Can't promise anything, but you might get lucky.

Raz
    (Hoping that he hasn't just opened the flood gates and that he won't get in sh*t for this)

Advertisement