Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trial has ended - but I still have access!

Options
  • 25-10-2004 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Ive been on the IOL trial for the past 3 months, the trial however, ended last week, and I had sent IOL the cancellation letter 2 weeks before the trial was due to end.

I have 14 days to send back the equipment, however, I still have access with my current username!

I'm speculating here, that IOL, once they receive the equipment, will leave it at that! So Im thinking that if I get a loan of a modem off my mate, that I should still have access to it (seeing as they havent disabled the username through the NAT tables yet)

Because I had to get bill murphy to sort out the order, I know that my order was put through with priority (I got the modem 2 days after he put in an order) and therefore my order might have slipped through the normal procedure!

Im basically wanting to know, from anyone else who went off the trial, how long does it take for your username to become defunct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i'd assume if you use it for one second after the trial period, you're roped into the contract (with your 4th month free of course). My advice, unless you want to stick with them, don't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think i'll leave the dust settle for a while, and then test it out using a cheapo modem I got in PC World.

If all goes to plan, then I'll use it until they say something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jane_doe

haha

your line is ebabled for DSL

if iol have cancelled your order then there should be no dsl on your line.

the fact that your line is still enabled for dsl means that your 3 month trial has not been cancelled yet (or will be soon)

if i was you i would call them and make sure that dsl has been cancelled otherwise you will have to foot the bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

it took me months to get iol to canclel nolimits
    im sure they havnt realised you canceled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Did you send the letter by registerd post by any chance?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you're using something that you aren't paying for, you can bet your bottom dollar that you WILL be billed for it.

I'd suggest you stopped using it, unless you're willing to risk paying for it.

Of course my line will stay enabled! I reckon they dont send someone out to disable someones line at the exchange everytime someone cancels, instead they'll probably only suspend my username over the NAT tables.

@KDJAC: We sent the letter 3 times over 3 days (just in case An Post lost them) and we sent them 2 weeks before the trial had ended.

Im going to ring them tomorrow to clear this up, I would have rang them today, but they ofc dont work on Bank Holidays!

@Ciaranfo: I've heard many examples of people not being billed for years by Esat, their billing department is notoriously ****e, so Im banking that theyve fùcked up on several key fronts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Not having read the IOL T&C's intimately but :

If IOL deem a 3 month trial to be OVER with no quibbles upon the return of THEIR modem within that time then they cannot quibble if he then uses HIS modem because they LET him so do having sent THEIR one back to them.

Otherwise he's in for the year I'd say :):)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

well this probably has nothing to do with it but i cancelled mine in september a month before i had to give it up,so i just tried my username and password on there usage calculator and it still works....maybe if i had a modem of my own my user name and password would still work.....???

Also sent back modem,with letter etc...but not webcam.all girl said was post back modem not wecam.....well its still unopened if they want it back... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I'll give you a tenner for the webcam :)

• Advertisement

I'll give you a tenner for the webcam :)

hehe chancer!!!well if im selling you will have first refusal...

Got a letter of Esat bt today saying that i hope ive enjoyed my 3months free BB and first payment came out on the 7th of August.... :eek: was onto them today and they said nope no billing was made...etc.....they are up there own arses.....will get bank statement ASAP......

when did you cancel your BB, and how long did it take for them to send you the letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

mad m wrote:
    hehe chancer!!!well if im selling you will have first refusal...

Got a letter of Esat bt today saying that i hope ive enjoyed my 3months free BB and first payment came out on the 7th of August.... :eek: was onto them today and they said nope no billing was made...etc.....they are up there own arses.....will get bank statement ASAP......

My free trial was up ages ago, I haven't been billed yet though :confused: Maybe I'm like their 1 millionth customer and get broadband for free :P Although I'd say it's more likely a phonebooked sized bill will be coming through my letterbox sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭dixsey

Ive been on the IOL trial for the past 3 months, the trial however, ended last week, and I had sent IOL the cancellation letter 2 weeks before the trial was due to end.

I have 14 days to send back the equipment, however, I still have access with my current username!

I'm speculating here, that IOL, once they receive the equipment, will leave it at that! So Im thinking that if I get a loan of a modem off my mate, that I should still have access to it (seeing as they havent disabled the username through the NAT tables yet)

Because I had to get bill murphy to sort out the order, I know that my order was put through with priority (I got the modem 2 days after he put in an order) and therefore my order might have slipped through the normal procedure!

Im basically wanting to know, from anyone else who went off the trial, how long does it take for your username to become defunct?
    i cancelled my eircom trial and it took over a week for the dsl to be disabled

when did you cancel your BB, and how long did it take for them to send you the letter?

cancelled my esat bb a good month before free trial was up,had to send modem by post(6euro)registered etc....i did go look for (Gls/Co of Esat)place i had to send it to up in walkinstown but for life of me couldnt find it address. as im just down road from it so thought id deliver personally.
    anyway any direct debts from my account there will be quick but firm phone call to them,pay me back or else!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Murderer, what ever happened about all this...?

Suppose its a bit late to be replying but, on the off chance that any one cares:

They apparently did not receive my letter of cancellation (which was sent by Registered Post). So I ended up rinigng them about 3 weeks after the trial ended and was told to email them the cancellation, this I did. A few weeks later we got a letter thanking us for choosing IOL Broadband and asking us to confirm our direct debit details as the first payment was to be taken out on 23rd December. After 2 months of emails to the complaints department we finally got it sorted. We WERE billed for broadband and were forced to pay by Direct Debit for all future bills, however it was eventually sorted and now we have nothing to do with Esat at all!

So in other words it was a disaster story. It turns out that our email cancellation was received but it didnt go through until a month later as their system was "experiencing technical glitches".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

esat have been pulling this stunt a lot it seems, they always claim their accounts dept is snowed under. I reckon its little more than an exhtortion scam on their part :mad:

Advertisement