Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TV3 any good?

Options
  • 25-06-2001 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I've been abroad since TV3 went live, and I was wondering if it's any good. The website isn't up to much, and they have a tasty looking newschick, but is any of its _original_ programming any good?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

you think sharon niwhateverthefuk you spell it is good looking?
    Shes a fat *****, unless your taking about loraine keane (again spelt wrong...)
    Irish TV sux.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Ri-ra

Er, what/ who are you talking about?

I think her name is Grainne Seoige.

yeah i meant grainne, yeah shes a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmmm, Buffy on TV3, hmmmm. Om nyom nyom.

Is it time for another Buffy thread yet?

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

buffy is on 5 times a week on sky1.
    Sky rulez.

• Advertisement

Hmmm.

Chernobyl, you're entitled to your opinion. I asked about _original_ programming, not s h i t e American imports.

If you guys want to have a Buffy thread, please start one of your own and leave my little thread fade into oblivion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

In all fairness i reckon TV3 ain't all that bad.

It's news at 5.30 is strong on local stuff (much more so than rte) and i usually watch it.

As for original programming i don't think they have the budget and seem to buy in everything....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

i went to tv3 on work experience.Too many egos for my liking.The news is sensationalised and lorranine keanes entertainment updates are a very very bad idea.As for the weather guy.........
    Buffy and sex and the city are the best they got.
    sport commentary is woful.that dating game with twink.........speechless

Bluehair-

Don't they have any investigative programmes?
    I though they had something called 20/20. Are the journalists any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

doesnt granada own a significant portion of tv3? that being all youll need to know about tv3's quality. i didnt even program my tv to recieve tv3 for the last few weeks and now that i put it in it i wish i didnt.
    What about tnag.
    bottom basement british balderdash is considered irish especially if is not dubbed into irish. and they were always given the odds ans sods that even rte wouldnt repeat.
    Mind go to france or spain and youll see what rubbish tv is all about.

[This message has been edited by pertinax (edited 25-06-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

for 20/20 they mostly use the american version for half the show and then do their own report for the rest of it, imo its not at all investigative journalism but emotional stories to get viewers.. "poor john needs a heart transplant to live" type things.

as for the news its really trying for a mix between serious and light hearted (entertainment w/ lorraine keane) and it just doesnt go together imo. News2 or whatever its called on N2 has it right. TV3s news just looks cheap, although their sport coverage isn't bad at all, less gaa and more international stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The only good thing on TV3 is Malcom in the Middle but you can see that on BBC2 so it doesn't matter.

Lorraine Keane's 'interviews' with pop singers etc. make me want to throw a bowling ball through the TV (a la Bart Simpson). Some of the stars even look like they're embarassed for her attempts at being young, cool and 'with it'.

As for that Grainne one - she's a right *****. She's all bitter because Sharon got the job on Network 2 and she didn't.

Plus she's a complete cow to people and once had to be told to leave a B&B or be forcibly removed after she refused to get out of bed well into the afternoon - I know that has nothing to do with the channel she works for but it's funny to hear it being told.

I'm the Dude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

TV3 is crap.

The reception is crap.

Get digital, and you'll forget it exists.

Wow. It doesn't look too good. Looking over the comments above, it seems that:

Grainne is a jealous prima donna. (Is she really fat? The site sells her as a "personality of some sort...)

And Lorraine Keane is convinced she's twenty something (which she might have been ten years ago). She's a waggin. I can tell by looking.

The "news" is cheap stateside knock-off.

Local news is weak & unprofessional.

They treat their interns like crap.

This begs the question: Why did they bother at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Don't speak ill of Martin King.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

is Martin King actually a meteorologist?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ri-Ra:
    This begs the question: Why did they bother at all?

</font>

duh... for the money.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    is Martin King actually a meteorologist?

</font>

Doubt it... he was drafted in from (and still also works for) 98FM in Dublin. He's just the happy smiley face (that you'd like to drive a bus through) that they put on the weather.

Crap station worth watching only for football. Get BRAVO!

Bard
    Fatter, happier, more productive.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 26-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski:
    Lorraine Keane's 'interviews' with pop singers etc. make me want to throw a bowling ball through the TV (a la Bart Simpson). Some of the stars even look like they're embarassed for her attempts at being young, cool and 'with it'. </font>

And all along I thought she was just a stupid cow. Thanks Jeff_Lebowski for exposing this 'past it' wannabe.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Bard mentions money as the motivation...

Is it working out for them? Is Paul McGuinness making the dough hand over fist?

I heard they were taking it in the keester on that front as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd say TV3 are making a $hitload of money from advertising now that they've got the likes of coronation street (coronation street = granada) which for some bloody unknown reason attracts hundreds of thousands of viewers.

- Munch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

I must admit the majority of TV3 is Crap , all that Buffy/Angel stuff isnt exactly Pioneering the world of Television , cripes you could just watch it on C4/Sky /BBC I wont comment on Sex in the City or Roswell Hight or anything else theyd consider prime time.....alright just one comment ...most of thier films are ****** TVMs , 100% purebred "Chickflick" stuff , and while some of thier proper films are OK its fairly hit and miss.

However Its thier Daytime TV that they really Shine , Sunset beach *Boo Derek* Judge Judy Ricki Lake all mixed in with Cagney and Lacy and VanderValk and stuff..It makes a dull morning go away faster with Sufficiently Cheesy yet ...enjoyable Telly biggrin.gif

Also worth a mention Is Action ..which I think theyve been Repeating for a while , its ephing Class , they also have a good Political show called agenda on Sundays but its off season frown.gif

Oh yeah..they have soaps and stuff

The Man From Delmonte , He Say "Yes"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Belisarius:
    all that Buffy/Angel stuff...</font>

And if you love Buffy, then get yourself SkyDigi, Buffy is on 6 times a week ( twice on friday ).
    Well cool.
    smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

now on the plus side they do have the original Love Boat series with Isaac the barman smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Good , the new loveboat was awful , and blatantly Anti-Communist biggrin.gif

The Man From Delmonte , He Say "Yes"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

soccer and plenty of boobies - of course TV3 is great smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Couldn't find anything on their launch back in 1998, was boards around back then?

But this comes from 2001.

Their website still isn't up too much. So is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Could've finished this topic 7 years ago, when it started: "No."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Epic thread resurrection. What's funny is that reading those comments, most are still true, except now Buffy isn't on TV3...

And to agree with RobertFoster, the answer to the question is a simple no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

They really should just rename the station 'Granada Emerald' or 'ITV Ireland'......because in reality thats all it is, just an Irish rip-off of a British station. If you took away the News, Championship Throw-In and The Political Show, you would think it was a British station. Their lack of home produced shows is truly shocking. It will take more than a few good looking news readers to get me to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is it any good? No.

Website still sucks, and always has.

Original programming? That's a good one. All ITV reality shows, with 1590 numbers so Irish people don't feel left out (on being robbed). Could easily be called iTV3 (the small i being very important, to distinguish it from ITV3, which does occasionally have something worth watching).

Advertisement