Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Gardaí announce Marathon restrictions

• 24-10-2004 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/4295999?view=Eircomnet
    Gardaí announce marathon restrictions
    Sunday, 24th October, 2004

Gardaí have announced traffic restrictions that will be in place to facilitate the 2004 Dublin City Marathon tomorrow.

Approximately 10,000 runners and walkers are expected to take part and there will be a number of traffic restrictions and some road closures.

The Marathon route starts at Nassau Street, travels through O'Connell Street to the Phoenix Park via North Circular Road. At Chapelizod the race turns up St. Lawrences Road towards Inchicore.

It will travel through Dolphins Barn, Walkinstown, Kimmage, Templeogue, Milltown, Stillorgan Road, Ballsbridge, Pearse Street and finishing at Merrion Square.

The Wheelchair participants race will start at 8.50am and the main field will start at 9am.

The following streets will be closed to traffic:

From 6am on Sunday October 24th until 5.30pm Monday, October 25th:

Merrion Square West, Merrion Square South and Merrion Street Upper (as far as the junction with Fitzwilliam Lane).

In addition, on Monday, October 25th, the following road closures will apply:

6am to 9.15am - Kildare Street

6am to 5.30pm - Dawson Street (Left hand turn only), Nassau Street,

Frederick Street, Clare Street, Merrion Square North.

At the Phoenix Park, the following gates will be closed:

NCR Gate: 9am-10:30am, Cabra Gate: 9am-11am, Ashtown Gate: 9am-11:30am,

Castleknock Gate: 9am-11:30am, Knockmaroon Gate: 9am-12 midday, Chapelizod

Gate: 9am-12 midday (entry will be restricted to Hospital Traffic only).

Gardaí and stewards will be in position along the route to facilitate traffic, but motorists have been warned to expect some delays. Motorists travelling North/South and Vice Versa through the city tomorrow are advised to use the M50 or East Link routes.

A map of the route is available to download from www.dublincitymarathon.ie

llama map http://www.dublincitymarathon.ie/map-2004.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I was at the finish today and the atmosphere was fantastic.

The road closures meant that pedestrians could wander freely around some of the nicest parts of the city centre without the usual bullying by mean-spirited motorists.

It felt just like what 'car-free' day could have been.

C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I haqve to say I was a bit annoyed sby the road closure. I moved to Milltown a few months ago and we had no notice that the road was to close. There were no flyers or notices on the lampposts. I was coming back from Galway in the morning and I found myself stuck for 90 minutes unable to get home and with nowhere else to go to.

I don't mind the road closure. But a better effort should have been made to tell locals that it was happening.

Advertisement