Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 1838 Club

Options
  • 22-10-2004 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Could someone tell me what the hell the 1838 Club is supposed to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Tis like the canteen, only for lecturers and the "very important"

Not plebs like you and me

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ahhhhhh, I wondered that meself. Glad I know now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

so is there like a door check on it or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

No idea but as far as I know the food in there is pretty much the same as the food in the canteen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yeah, I'd imagine it's just so that they don't have to eat with us low lifes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Jesjes wrote:
    Yeah, I'd imagine it's just so that they don't have to eat with us low lifes.
    Why don't they just call it "The Staff Canteen" then?
    And what is the "1838" about? - Something to do with the year 1838 or maybe 6.38pm. Gives it a mysterious elitest masionic feel to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

i don't know but i'm just thinking that maybe it's to give people the impression that dcu goes way back like other colleges or it's some religious cult thing you know the time when their messiah came and told them what to do before the end comes or alternatively it's just a name they came up with that they thought sounded cool in their heads..........just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I reckon it must be the year that Albert, (It's in the Albert College building), either was born or died. Probably born.
    I believe DCU started with just the Albert College building and it was an agricultural college, part of UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭teejay

Albert College opened in 1838 as an Agricultural College.

Was in the 1838 Clucb a few times last year - pretty nice all round..
    Food definitely seemed an awful lot nicer that the I remembered the canteen food being (though I hadn't been in the canteen for a long time) and its got rooms with nice big leather couches which are pretty comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

can't possibly be worse than the main canteen. got cod goujons today in there, E3.35 for 5 measly pieces of "fish". that's 67c each. I was slightly pissed off at them....

how can they justify such blatant money-grabbing? grr....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

theres really big bouncy leather couches in it

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

They ARE nice couches...

And lecturers are loaded and can afford to be ripped off and not even notice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jesjes wrote:
    And lecturers are loaded and can afford to be ripped off and not even notice!!

T is 10 cent cheaper in the staff canteen

Can anyone go in there? If not can postgrads go in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Real postgrads can. Taught ones can't.

Go to the new bar people ! 5 or 6 quid and you get a real meal. They fill the plate up with food, far superior to the canteen.

Gav

Verb wrote:
    Go to the new bar people ! 5 or 6 quid and you get a real meal. They fill the plate up with food, far superior to the canteen.
    Was put off the first day i went in there was the swarm of dying wasps trying to escape out the unopenable windows. The food wasn't much better or much more than what ye get in the canteen either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cravian

The food is indeed better in club 18-30, sorry 1838 club, but is much more expensive than the standard canteen. Possibly you're paying for the cleaners as the 1838 is usually quite clean compared with the canteen.

Advertisement