Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Booker Prize

Options
  • 20-10-2004 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Well most of the money was on David Mitchell's 'Cloud Atlas' or Colm Toibin's 'The Master' and both were pipped by Alan Hollinghursts' 'In the Line of Beauty' which was a surprise.

Anyone read any of them or the other three books on the shortlist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I read Cloud Atlas and didn't bother finishing it, it was so annoyingly constructed. I liked his previous two books a lot, especially number9dream, and there were flashes of what he can do in this book, but overall I'm sorry I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

I’ve been thinking of picking up a copy of “the master” for some time now and did just that this afternoon. Swayed by Eileen Battersby’s article in the times today about how it was the better book by far. And it sounds great - I’m looking forward to getting my teeth into it…. However I still have 700 odd pages to wade through “Jonathon Strange and Mister Norrell” first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bibliofemme

A friend is almost finished The Electric Michaelangelo and she thinks it's brilliant. I'd love to read Cloud Atlas but I get nosebloods at the thought of big books. :D The Master is definitely one I want to tackle as I'm a Henry James fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I'm going to puck up "In The Line of Beauty" today. Mainly because it is the first "gay-themed" novel to win the Booker but also because an extract I read did seem quite well written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i read cloud atlas and really liked it - although the middle chapter i found very difficult to read. really interested in getting electric michelangelo i have to say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement