Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options
  • 19-10-2004 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Anyone been watching the latest series? It's been excellent. Colin Murphy in particular is hilarious. Well done to Happy Endings productions for a great show and for giving Kathryn Thomas more air time... Always good in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The story Colin told about the plane being a different colour: that was on an Aer Lingus flight to Copenhagen that I was on - pity I didn'e see him though. He rules

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

great programme - used to be live, but doesn't seem to be anymore after the drunk heckler a few weeks ago :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Yeh i didnt realise it wasnt live anymore till daragh obrian was doin a show in DCU on a monday night WHILE the panel was on...

Anyway its a deadly show... not too fond of ed byrne though :confused:

ed's a bit of a nancy with that hair do...

Yeh plus the fact that he's just not funny doesnt help ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

SteveD wrote:
    Yeh plus the fact that he's just not funny doesnt help ;)
    At least he's not the wasteland devoid of humour that is Fiona Looney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

The panel does indeed have its moments, But the whole ed byrne thing just ruins it for me, he has the biggest ego for a small time comedy act who's following is getting smaller and smaller as the years go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

OFDM wrote:

Ah well, I have a theory that she just came with the building. The first series of the Panel was shot in The Helix, featuring Fiona Looney in every episode. You're a Star was also, for a time, shot in The Helix. Ray D'Arcy's "hilarious" quips scripted by none other than Fiona Looney.

Concidence? I think the likelyhood is pretty small...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Programme is great except for Dara O'Brian. Does my head in with 'eh......eh......eh......' between every sentence.

now that i've mentioned it you will never be able to watch again without noticing it !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I saw both Colin Murphy and Ed Byrne live at Cat Laughs

Colin Murphy = hilarious
    Ed Byrne = sh1t - no original ideas

imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

great programme - used to be live, but doesn't seem to be anymore after the drunk heckler a few weeks ago :D

They changed being live because of that?! You think they would have done that with The Late Late Show? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

what exactly did the heckler do/say??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd imagine they recorded the show and didn't do it live just to accommodate Dara O'Brian having a live show on the same night. Why they didn't think of just getting a guest presenter in instead, I don't know...

smak: He was just cursing etc. "a load of ****ing shoite" - slagging off one of the guests...Joe Duffy I think it was - they had to cut his interview in half and eject the heckler from the audience during the ad break.

Bard: I think it was since that episode that they've been recording it, not just the once to accomodate O'Brian, as I've noticed things, such as them sitting/facing different ways when the camera cuts back and forth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

It seems alright. I don't really pay much attention to it. It's more background noise for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

OFDM wrote:
    You didn't see the one with Roisin Ingle subbing for someone? She's like a poor copy of Fiona Looney (terrible newspaper column, weight issues etc), if such a thing is imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Nah, it's pre-recorded every week now on the Sunday night.*

Anyway, Colin Murphy has definitely come into his own this season without Ed Byrne constantly on screen trying to scream his 'quips' at people.

However, compared to Fiona Looney even he has his moments.

She is actually the unfunniest person to appear on our screens EVER! And she keeps laughing at her own jokes - that's the first thing you're NOT meant to do as a, and I use the term very very loosely, comedian.

* The reasons for it are two-fold, the production team told me: The heckler played a large part in it (from that week onwards, it was pre-recorded). Additionally, they simply weren't getting credit for it being live - after the first few weeks in Season 1, the fact that it was live was hardly ever mentioned, thus the switch just made sense.

It's now recorded every Sunday night beforehand - I'm going to it this week with a bunch of friends :) looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

It's a sad indictment of Irish 'talent' if this lot is the best selection of comedians we can dredge up. Colin Murphy excepted, as I do enjoy the Blizzard of Odd.

As for Roisin Ingle, her Irish Times Magazine articles are painful, and not assisted by the site of her glacier-like bulk adorned with girlie pigtails at the top of the page. *shudder*

As with music, all the real talent from Ireland buggers of to the UK / US as soon as possible leaving the dregs to fight it out for big fish/small pond supremacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

As with music, all the real talent from Ireland buggers of to the UK / US as soon as possible leaving the dregs to fight it out for big fish/small pond supremacy.

Possible because both Irish TV and Radio ignor you until you've made it in other countries.

I like Dara O'Brien, His Buried Alive show was very good. And he allowed his guests talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i can get tickets for it just pm me

• Advertisement

OFDM wrote:

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

ok, the old man works on the show and they say one of the reason's it isn't live anymore is because of long silences. Didn't hear of the heckler though. Also they cut some of the funnier stuff from the show for some strange reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

roar_ie wrote:
    Also they cut some of the funnier stuff from the show for some strange reason
    Plenty of possibilities ... libel... over-rudeness... over-use of the 'F' word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Oh that was a classic tonight...

Ed Byrne got two put downs... delightful

"That's very pass-remarkable considering the shirt you're wearing"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

roar_ie wrote:
    ok, the old man works on the show and they say one of the reason's it isn't live anymore is because of long silences.

What does "long silences" mean? I didn't notice any silences when it was live.
    Pity the cuts aren't a bit smoother now though, it was much better live, IMO.

George Hook was surprisingly good when he was on it a few weeks ago (he was on for the whole show, not just as a guest), but Colin Murphy is by far and away the best on it this season. Looking forward to seeing him next week in college.

Good show again tonight, although I can't stand Ryan Tubridy. Podge and Rodge started right after The Panel with no ads or anything. RTE should fix this for next week, especially for Sky+ users so people don't miss half of it if they have it set to record. It ended at 11:03, but was only due to start at 11. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I enjoyed tonights show too. Juliet Turner rambled a bit, Ryan Tubridy got a bit defensive when Daragh invaded his personal space (fun to watch), and I think Caroline Morahan should have been on for the whole show. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well that singer they had on was hopeless, I did enjoy after her tale of the one-night stand and how it could be deciphered from her song lyrics, the host picks up her CD and says 'yeah it's on track 4 'I Rode a Dancer' :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I know I might be inviting abuse here, but how come people don't like Ed Byrne? I think he's a funny fecker, and last night in particular the stuff he and Colin Murphy were coming out with was brilliant (loved the thing about teachers being sexually harrassed by schoolkids and the kids drinking/smoking/having sex at early ages).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

but that was Colin Murphy's gag...

anyhoo each to their own... i just cant stand him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

chump wrote:
    but that was Colin Murphy's gag...

In fairness, Colin murphy's one was the one about drinking/smoking/sex, the two of them were both contributing on the sexual harrasment one - Byrne coming out with the crack about "having something fat for teacher".

I don't mean to start a row or anything, I'm just curious as to what people dislike about him given that I think he's pretty funny. Tubridy, on the other hand...*urgh*.

Advertisement