Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80's stop motion/Australian monsters

Options
  • 18-10-2004 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

There are two shows from the early 80's that I have only the vaguest of recollections of, and I wonder does anyone remember them:

1) A kind of primitive Eastern European stop motion thing, about a family of dolls living in a doll's house (funnily enough), and some evil doll or dollette who moves in and makes their lives hell. I remember what I think what was the last episode, where the evil bitch or bitchette caused a fire, and the baby doll was burned to death! It horrified me to my very core, but I can't remember the name. Anyone?

2) An Australian thing, about these children, and they live in a town or city where everyone is being taken over by these things, I remember green humanoid monsters coming out of the sea, trying to get into people's houses, etc. This show also horrified the crap out of me.

So, anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Number 2 sounds like Under The Mountain.

It was about these 2 twins (a girl and a boy) who have to use magic rocks to stop Mr. Wilburforce who is actually a green alien slug thingy. He had all these creepy white tunnels underneath his house.

It was a New Zealand show mind...

Number 1 doesn't ring a bell.. But it sounds brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭johntf008

You sir, are a saint among men! That's totally it!

Scared the hell outta me!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I remember the programme with the dolls, I can't remember the name either, I have a vague recollection of that other programme too.... But tis all very hazy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Remember the doll program, and the episode with the fire. the doll that went to save the baby doll was burned ...creepy.

the baby's name was apple, or was the evil one called apple, oh one of them was called apple. used to be on ITV

why i remember this i do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PaddyjDunne

The dolls house programe was called Tottie!

• Advertisement

The dolls house programe was called Tottie!

Wow, that sounds correct, based on the unreachable memory it has stirred within me. However, the imdb has nothing on it. But it is a bit obscure...

Thanks. I can't believe people remember **** like this!!!

haha after some googleing i found this little piece on the series

Apple was the father in the house
    Birdie was the mother in the house
    the evil bitch was called Marchpane

it was birdy the wife that ultimately went up in smoke at the end.

This taken from here

http://tv.cream.org/a-z/t/t3.htm

TOTTIE: STORY OF A DOLL'S HOUSE (1984-86)
    BBC/SMALLFILMS

A LATE entry in the POSTGATE/FIRMIN oeuvre, based on the novels by Rumer Godden, and recalled by JILL PHYTHIAN: "It was altogether rather bizarre - as you might expect from its subtitle, it was somewhat Ibsen-esque. Like BAGPUSS (qv), it featured a group of toys who came to life when their owners, Charlotte and Emily Dane, weren't around. Tottie was a doll, who lived happily in a doll's house with three other dolls, whom she considered her family. However, evil arrived in the form of a porcelain doll called Marchpane, who was entirely self-centred. Instead of joining in the Tottie family's love fest (they called themselves the Plantagenets), Marchpane plotted their downfall in order to gain more quality time with the owners. Said plotting culminated in the death by fire of Birdie, one of Tottie's family, who Marchpane knew was made of plastic, and would melt. An air of morbidity then fell upon the Tottie family, and I stopped watching because it was all getting too gothic and scary.The plot did come to a conclusion, with the Plantagenets living (fairly) happily ever after, and Marchpane getting her comeuppance."

TV CREAM immortality rating -
    XXXXXXXXXXXX...NARRATED BY OLIVER POSTGATE WITH VOICES BY ANNA CALDER-MARSHALL, NANCY GAIR AND OLWEN GRIFFITHS.

Bloody hell, thanks Billy! It's all coming back to me now. Can't believe it was English, it was such a bleak programme. ****ing Marchpane, if I ever get my hands on her...

haha your taking your life into your own hands when you type totty into google let me tell ya :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Think this thread is worth bumping as Youtube wasn't available then. The horror that was Tottie. Who needed Video Nasties in the 80's, this is ten times more disturbing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement