Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam...watch out guys.

Options
  • 18-10-2004 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭

Just a word of warning for anyone heading home from clubs.
    A mate of mine was heading home from Glitz (gay night in Break For the Border) last Tuesday. He hadn't pulled so when he was approached by a guy in the street who asked to him to come back 2 his place, it looked like his night was taking a turn for the better. The guy said he lived in Bray (r sumwhere far away anyway) & didn't have enough for a taxi so my mate went to the ATM & took out some money. A few mins later, the guy said he needed to have a piss & disappeared never to be seen again.
    What my friend didn't notice was the guy had watched him when he was entering his PIN and had then also managed to pick pocket the card & empty €700 out of his account!
    Oh & btw this is a friend & NOT me I am talkin about. OK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

This is easily avoidable.

If your mate hadn't been a total slapper willing to sleep with some random guy he met on the road it wouldn't have happened. Really, cop on.

Second, I'm getting really pissed off with people posting on this board and then protesting that they're not gay. Posting here doesn't necessarily mean that you're gay, and tbh I'm starting to find it offensive that every post must include a disclaimer to that fact.

Oh I'm not gay, no no no no, not me... *sigh*

[edit]If I've misread this and you actually are gay, and not the person in question, then my apologies. However, it's something I've seen more and more of recently and it annoys me rather a bit :p[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Man, how much of a nanny state do we need to have. What lenghts and laws are needed to protect the stupid and desperate ?

700 quid from an ATM ? Is that the limit nowadays ? And after your friend already took out cash for a taxi to Bray ? Plus the cost of a taxi back ? How much would that cost ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Prozium

All I can say is HA HA HA HA HAH AHAHA HHA AH.

Was he really that desperate that he was going to go home with some random guy he met on the street !!!

What did he expect ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

moridin wrote:
    This is easily avoidable.

If your mate hadn't been a total slapper willing to sleep with some random guy he met on the road it wouldn't have happened. Really, cop on.

Second, I'm getting really pissed off with people posting on this board and then protesting that they're not gay. Posting here doesn't necessarily mean that you're gay, and tbh I'm starting to find it offensive that every post must include a disclaimer to that fact.

[edit]If I've misread this and you actually are gay, and not the person in question, then my apologies. However, it's something I've seen more and more of recently and it annoys me rather a bit :p[/edit]
    I don't think hes gay, but I think the reason he said "it was a friend and not me" is to show that it wasn't him that fell for the scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

moridin wrote:

I am gay and have no problems with admitting it....jus wouldn't want people thinkin that I was that
    stupid & desperate to have gone home with any old randomer in the street....apology accepted

• Advertisement

good lad, now go ask ixoboy for some of his Pink sugar cake ;)

You single fletch, got gaydar ? Want ixoy's profile ? :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well hopefully this warning won't be applicable to anyone I know because they'd not show such sheer desperation to "get their hole" by meeting with some random stranger on the street. May I suggest to your friend that there's various institution in Dublin catering for such carnal nocturnal activities that will only result in a load being emptied rather than a cash load?

There's always going to be scammers around, preying on the weak, stupid, and irresponsible. Was the matter reported to the Gardai to try and prevent this or was your mate's embarassment too much? And did you caution him not just about being scammed but the potential dangers of going off with somebody, with none the wiser whom he knows nothing about? A bit of street wise is always a good idea in all situations, straight or gay, when heading out...

May I suggest to your friend that there's various institution in Dublin catering for such carnal nocturnal activities that will only result in a load being emptied rather than a cash load?

Still promoting the Boilerhouse I see. (He gets a reduction on his bill if he signs up new recruits.)

damien.m wrote:
    Still promoting the Boilerhouse I see. (He gets a reduction on his bill if he signs up new recruits.)
    Let's try to keep it on topic shall we? The original post was legitimate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

Perhaps your friend could kill 2 birds with the 1 stone and "work" the money back off that guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

damien.m wrote:

Isn't that some dodgy gay bath house?

yes, I believe so

Boston wrote:
    Isn't that some dodgy gay bath house?
    Is there a gay bath house that ain't dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

fletch wrote:
    stupid & desperate to have gone home with any old randomer in the street....apology accepted
    Ye , you go home with random strangers from clubs instead - much more high class ;)

That wasn't him though, it was his friend, remember? :)

Ye , you go home with random strangers from clubs instead - much more high class ;)
    I think so too Offler, thanks :D

fletch wrote:
    empty €700 out of his account!
    I only wish I had €700 in my bank account! Grow up people....if it was me I woulda said....enough already

fletch wrote:
    I only wish I had €700 in my bank account!

So, to clarify, you don't have €700 in your bank account , anymore ?
    Grow up people

I am, but what are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

ATM fraud is increasingly common nowadays. If your friend was too stupid and/or drunk to notice that this perfect stranger suddenly took a great amount of interest in him at an ATM then he has just received an expensive wake-up call.

This isn't an LGB issue though. While personally I haven't been defrauded by means of an ATM, I still take routine precautions like making sure that people aren't too close - there is an unsaid rule that there generally should be a respectful distance between the person using the ATM and the next person in line.

Some rather more sophisticated gangs are starting to use small wireless cameras attached to the ATM to directly monitor people entering in their PIN's while they monitor the situation using a wireless link on their laptop nearby. Subsequently they steal the card and pocket the cash.

Remember kids, an ATM isn't just the key to your cash home. If you're concerned about getting royally burned consider putting a reasonable limit on your daily withdrawal (say €250).

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    So, to clarify, you don't have €700 in your bank account , anymore ?
    I am, but what are you ?
    UR MA! :D
    lol....oh God I'm wish I had never mentioned this now....wanna see a screenshot of my AIB 24hr banking statement

swiss wrote:
    ATM fraud is increasingly common nowadays. If your friend was too stupid and/or drunk to notice that this perfect stranger suddenly took a great amount of interest in him at an ATM then he has just received an expensive wake-up call.
    I think you may have misread my post.....they went to the ATM to get money, they had met in the street beforehand. My friend thought he was gettin lucky & thought this guy who had approached him was genuine so prob wasnt too concerned about blockin him from seein his PIN (Personally I don't even let my family see my PIN & always shield my hand with my wallet)

swiss wrote:
    This isn't an LGB issue though.
    This particular incident was because the guy targeted another guy so must have been waiting outside Break For The Border(knowing that it was gay night)

fletch wrote:
    I think you may have misread my post.....they went to the ATM to get money, they had met in the street beforehand. My friend thought he was gettin lucky & thought this guy who had approached him was genuine so prob wasnt too concerned about blockin him from seein his PIN (Personally I don't even let my family see my PIN & always shield my hand with my wallet)
    Yup, I agree, it kinda is an LGB issue as your friend was specifically targetted by this person after coming out of Glitz. The close proximity of the ATM there kinda makes it the perfect place for a scam like this.

*pockets €700* muahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

moridin wrote:
    That wasn't him though, it was his friend, remember? :)
    I know fletch, this didn't happen to him. It really was a friend of his. Not me :D

I know fletch, this didn't happen to him. It really was a friend of his. Not me :D
    Thanks Offler...
    Oh & before yis all start askin is Offler gay....NO he ain't....gay fellas can actually have str8 m8s

Fletch handed out his advice and we'll let it be without being any more judgmental or making assumptions. The mocking afterwards isn't going anywhere. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement