Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dune & Planet Of The Apes remakes?

Options
  • 17-04-2001 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

didn't even know these were in the pipeline, anyone got any info on them? i know i'm being lazy but .. smile.gif

oh and whens battlefield earth out on video ... i'm really looking forward to seeing just how ****e it was

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I dunno about Dune, but I got the Planet of the Apes trailer ages ago, and it's looking fantastic. I haven't heard much about it, except that apparently it's missing the "twist" at the end from the original.
    I think you can get the trailer from http://www.1001ba.com/1001ba/p.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Dune would own, but i dont know if the could better the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

yeah you could improve planet of the apes ... but the dune was a pretty good ... I'd hate to try and improve on it, cause if you screw up ... the world will remember you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

the original dune film was terrible, mainly due to really sloppy editing and the fact that the films distributors asked de laurentis to cut about an hour from it...making the whole thing incomprehensible smile.gif

mabye a remake might do the book some justice; I'd love to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

<RANT WARNING>
    they took out the twist?please tell me you are lying. frown.gif

what a sad indictment of the state of hollywood that one of the most disturbing images in film history was taken out.
    I remember the first time i saw that movie as a ten year old kid on television,made a hell of an impression on a kid weened on john wayne movies i can tell you. frown.gif
    Without the ending its just a bunch of men running round in expensive monkey suits.
    Corporate tossers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Dune was remade on the sci-fi channel in the US several months back, about five hours long. Still havent gotten around to watching it

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this....
    bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

In defense of the remake of Planet of the Apes...

As you probably know, Tim Burton is at the helm. Now, some people hate Burton, some people love him, either way, it has to be said that he's one of the most unique directors in Hollywood, with a very clear vision of what he's trying to achieve with a film. I believe the very reason he's taking the twist out is because, as you said, it's "one of the most disturbing images in film history" - any attempt to copy it would just look cheap and tacky (Think Gus Van Sant's Psycho.. same film, different actors.. Zzzz).

As far as I know, he's got a whole different ending planned, so he might still come up with something special.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dune was remade into a mini-series but don't mock it's supposed to good. The user reviews on Amazon are pretty enthusiastic:-

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000059H6K/qid=987652845/sr=1-1/ref=sc_d_2/107-0772228-0146956

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I watched the first episode of Dune, and tbh it was dire frown.gif It seemed to be sticking closer to the book than the David Lynch film, but the scripting that the acting was simply awful. It really seemed like they didn't want to cpoy off parts of the david Lynch script and ended up phrasing things stupidly. I had been looking foward to seeing it, but just watching the 1st episode was a chore so I haven't bothered trying to get my hands on the rest.

Redesigned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

How in Ghads name (as Charlton Heston was prone to say) did they think they could up stage (or out do) Dino Delorentis and David Lynch? How did they pitch that to Backers and studios?

Producers- "We have half the extras from time tunnel, one from lost in space, the director of Sliders and the writers of Earth Final conflict! We can make a great Sci-fi!"

Studio- "Duh! Whats a sci-fi!"

Producers- "Just give us the money or we will distribute these doctored photos of you and you pet dog on the internet!".

As for Planet of the Apes, why remake it? The series did it to death not to mention the plethera of movie sequels.

Perhaps folks in Holywood should read some decent Sci-Fi and produce some of the Material that begs to be done instead of just looking at old movies they think they can cash in on through "re-retro" brand recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Did they not cut half of planet of the apes?? R was it the love scene cause a ape and a human where doin it ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

I would have paid money to see Charlton Heston do that...

"Not until you prize her monkey T*ts out of my cold dead hands!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i love those movies which they name after old sixties shows with the express intention of annoying the people who remember them the first time round with their continuty errors.
    Mission Impossible,
    Avengers,
    Bilko,
    The Saint,
    The Fugitive,
    Dragnet
    Doctor Who
    is there any Sixties show that they havent made a complete hash of "Reinterpreting"?
    Oh wait i can think of one,
    The Prisoner.
    The studio muppets wiil probally insist on telling everyone what exactly is going on about five minuetes into the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

seen the trailer for dune a couple of days ago. pure class , the special fx look amazing and it seems to mention the guild aswell smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

any release date for dune here in ireland, as either a film or mini-series (or both)

/me crosses his fingers

Im Going to Thrash you to within an Inch of your Life.....................
    AND THEN TAKE THAT INCH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Hmm ... Funny how ppl still seem to think that great special effects make up for bad acting and worse scripts

Redesigned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Well, the Planet of the Apes trailer is on in work (Ster Century) and posters are up.

And God said to Adam: 'I am root, FOO.'

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

Advertisement