Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great eighties shows that got axed!

• 12-03-2001 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

This teen-oriented fantasy adventure centered around a strange group of young people with bizarre physical abilities. They were being studied by Los Angeles' Humanidyne Institute. Not content to live like laboratory rats, they formed a team to fight crime led by scientist Billy Hayes of the Institute. Others included: his coworker El Lincoln, a 7 foot 4 inch black man who could shrink to just 6 inches in height by touching the back of his neck; Johnny B., a rock musician who was once zapped with 20,000 volts of electricity and could now shoot electricity from his fingertips; and reformed delinquent Gloria (played by none other than Courtney Cox--post-"Family Ties", pre-"Friends"), whose telekinetic powers could levitate objects.

ANYONE REMEMBER THIS ONE?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ahhh! Misfits of Science smile.gif

And why isn't Faulty Towers still going?!

SONIC.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Because the leading guy who played Basil, and right at the moment when it would be convenient to remember, I have forgotten his name - died.

Anyone remember 21 Jump Street? I am not saying it was great - but it was from here as a child that I developed my crush on Johnny Depp (drool).

biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

21 jump street , great thme tune,
    and as for the reason for Fawlty towers going off the air. Like many great artists/shows/inventors, it was not appreciated when it was around and not because that guy who played Basil Fawlty (John Cleese who will be very sad to hear that he is Dead) had died.

You never expect the Beefy Inquisition !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Fawlty Towers didn't get cancelled. As far as I know Cleese and his wife Connie Booth decided to stop writing it because they felt that they'd kill it if they continued on for another series. I believe it was very much appreciated when it was first shown on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

What ever happened to Airwolf ..thats what I want to know!
    A helicopter that thinks its a fighter plane , Russians , and Ernest Borgnine? . That just a recipe for sucsess

Shrewgar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

one word: Alf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by neuro-praxis:
    Because the leading guy who played Basil, and right at the moment when it would be convenient to remember, I have forgotten his name - died.
    </font>

John Cleese is very much alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Neuro, if i hadnt seen your posts on the drugs topic, i would presume you were on crack.
    The actor who played basil, is John Cleese and is not dead in the slightest, have you ever even seen Fawlty Towers?

[This message has been edited by --Kaiser-- (edited 13-03-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

yeh wtf, i got a fright there, cleese is still braething and is the guy replacing Q in the bond films .desmond lewellan died, very sad, he was cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What ever happened to Airwolf ..thats what I want to know!
    A helicopter that thinks its a fighter plane , Russians , and Ernest Borgnine? . That just a recipe for sucsess</font>

Jan-Michael Vincent was a raging alcoholic, leading to him getting fired from the show. They then got in some new guys, and lost the formula completely.

I'm tired of every thread turning into a nostaliga free-for-all.. it's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Who the Fword decided to put the unabomber in the avatars ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Elias

As far as I know John Cleese and his wife were going through a messy divorce while they were making faulty towers, and couldn't stand the site of each other. ONce the series was over (I think they only ever made nine episodes) they probably didn't want to be sharing the same country with each other never mind working with each other. Much like me and pot noodles really if you think about it.

http://www.jumptheshark.com/

when old shows die.

But...but...

I was full sure that the guy died of a heart attack? Where the flip did my mind generate that?

I will use the excuse that I do not live near civilisation. In fact we have no media sources in my household, and no electricity either. I am forced to sit in my room all day eating liver etc.

Muchly apologies for mixing up in public the things that are inside my head, and the things that are far away. (And I thought my post in music was embarassing.)

biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Very much still alive, He did a show last week about peoples faces or something.

Anyone remember 'The Magician'?

The guy who played the incredible hulk was in it, he had the classiest car ever, a corvette i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

You could be confusing John Cleese with another member of the Monty Python team, forgot his name, the guy who played Brian in the Life Of Brian, sadly passed on.

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, that'd be Graham Chapman - he died in '89

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elias:
    .... ONce the series was over (I think they only ever made nine episodes) they probably didn't want to be sharing the same country with each other never mind working with each other.... </font>

The actually made 13 episodes, I know since I have them all on video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Has anyone seen the recent American take-off of Fawlty Towers called "Payne" (staring John Larroquette of Night Court "fame") Phewwy It STINKS it BLOWS it is sooooooooo bad its scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TinCool:
    The actually made 13 episodes, I know since I have them all on video.

</font>

the Germans bought the rights to the series apart from the classic "German" Esp.
    that was about 5 - 6 years ago.

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elias:
    As far as I know John Cleese and his wife were going through a messy divorce while they were making faulty towers, and couldn't stand the site of each other. ...</font>

As far as I'm aware, John Cleese was married to both his major female co-stars in Fawlty Towers at one stage... (Connie Booth and Prunella Scales) not at the same time, of course. I didn't know that he was on such bad terms with either of these ex's as you stated tho'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Bloody Drunkard

was different strokes late eighties or early ninties I love that little guy

Gary Coleman We salute you

What u talkin about ?

Somebody Please buy me some alchol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Loomer:
    Has anyone seen the recent American take-off of Fawlty Towers called "Payne" (staring John Larroquette of Night Court "fame") Phewwy It STINKS it BLOWS it is sooooooooo bad its scary</font>
    easily the worst sitcom i have ever seen.
    I lived in America around this time so theremight have been different stuff on, but i used always watch Night Court, Cheers, MacGuyver (pity that ended smile.gif), Different Strokes, Silver Spoons, and b4 that there was Magnum PI, Knightrider and the A-Team...

The A-team 0wned

btw, imo its a good thing they stopped fawlty towers when they did. now there is a near perfect collection of videos - the humour is spot on and does not get repetitive like Father Ted and a lot of comedies that went on too long did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Ahh silver spoons, I always wondered where that train went?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Airwolf is on every Saturday afternoon along with the Incredible Hulk. RTE One I think, for those who want a trip down memory lane.

[This message has been edited by tobiwan (edited 15-03-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Is Magnum PI repeated on any channels at the mo'? And can anybody remember his landlord's name? You know, the stuffy guy who was the true owner of The Ferrari. (I loved that car)

higgins.

a lot of magnum pi was written by the same guy who done quantum leap (although QL is infintely better)

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Illkillya:
    Originally posted by Loomer:
    the humour is spot on and does not get repetitive like Father Ted and a lot of comedies that went on too long did.</font>

went on too long????
    did you forget the death factor involved there?

Advertisement