Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballot wars over same-sex marriages

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That article exposes why I loathe the Bush administration and it became evident in the third presidential debate, where I watched. Both candidates admitted to their faith playing a large role in their policy decisions but Kerry was keen to stress that he wouldn't impose his faith system on others. Bush? Never said such a thing. His faith drives him and the way he acts. Not only that but he listens to the militant Christian fanatics backing the GOP and tried to get that horroific Constitutional ammendment (that, for me, was the final straw that turned apathetic dislike to vitrolic hatred).

On the issue of gay marriage, Kerry also opposes it as the article points out. But he's all for extending rights such as civil unions whereas Bush, in the debate, muttered something about tolerance, despite his government's actions clearly indicating otherwise. He also, when asked if homosexuality was a choice, fobbed the question off with an insulting "well I don't know". At least the rhetoric of Kerry was to tie it into relgion by saying he believed God made us who we are, and that includes gay people.

You know it'd be interesting to see how these balloting states would react if the paper read for a ban on inter-racial marriage. Sickener for a country that lauds itself on civil liberties.

Advertisement