Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[OPINION] Luas Red vs Green lines

Options
  • 14-10-2004 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭

Hope Victor doesn't mind me putting this one out - just curious for people that have experience of both lines.

I was on the green line today for the first time and I have to say I was really impressed. Against this, I live on the Red line, so it takes the same time to go half? the distance (the Luas doesn't even get up any speed by the time I get home) for almost the same price.

I appreciated the green line had many advantages re: the Harcourt line and so many bridges, and forgetting about price, it just seems to me that the red line is vastly inferior to the green, so much so, that I'm sitting here almost considering renaming it the sh1t line in comparison.

So I'm just wondering - what are peoples opinions of both lines who have actually travelled both. Not looking to Luas bash at all, just an opinion an comparisons...

Thanks

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

dazberry wrote:
    Hope Victor doesn't mind me putting this one out - just curious for people that have experience of both lines.

I was on the green line today for the first time and I have to say I was really impressed. Against this, I live on the Red line, so it takes the same time to go half? the distance (the Luas doesn't even get up any speed by the time I get home) for almost the same price.

I appreciated the green line had many advantages re: the Harcourt line and so many bridges, and forgetting about price, it just seems to me that the red line is vastly inferior to the green, so much so, that I'm sitting here almost considering renaming it the sh1t line in comparison.

So I'm just wondering - what are peoples opinions of both lines who have actually travelled both. Not looking to Luas bash at all, just an opinion an comparisons...

Thanks

D.

Your analysis sounds about right. The red line has far too many road junctions. Except for peak hours it is slower for most journeys than the various alternative bus routes.

The gaps between the stations are also very uneven. There are two stops far to close together on the old Guinness canal section where there is a huge gap between the Red Cow depot and Kylemore Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

here, go and visit amsterdam and see what the trams are like over there. The stops are all over the shop. Once they get the tram running after about a year or so then it would be a better oppurtunity to judge if it is a bag of sh1te or actually a good means of transport.

Once they get the red cow rebuilt and the port tunnel finished then its going to be different. I expect outside the M50 to be redeveloped soon, thats the way those things go isnt it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The two lines each have their own characteristics, so you are really not comparing like with like.

What you have on the Green line is, as you have noted, an old railway line. Its only on street when it reaches Harcourt St to the Green, and then at Stillorgan. It is capable of getting up to good speeds, as it is its own dedicated line and doesnt share the road. Whereas with the Red line, its more of a street level tram, the only bits where it can get upto speed and is like the most of the Green line is from after the Red Cow stop to just after Ballymount.

So really, for those on the Green line, be thankful that they didnt really develop on the old Harcourt St. line.

Advertisement