Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business group calls for Luas lines to be linked

Options
  • 14-10-2004 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

wasnt only a few weeks ago that "business groups" were complaining about Luas works :rolleyes:
    Business group calls for Luas lines to be linked
    14/10/2004 - 15:09:13 from BreakingNews.ie

The Dublin City Business Association is calling on the new Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen, to have the two Luas lines to be joined up.

The group, representing city centre businesses in Dublin, is asking the minister to instruct the Rail Procurement Agency to begin work on connecting the two separate lines before the implementation groups break up.

Retailers say customer numbers were up by 35% on the first weekend the new tram system came into operation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

It is a very noble idea but I can't see it happening. Too expensive and disruptive to powerful businesses
    If it did tho i would be out of my car instantly.

As for the IFSC idea of replacing proposed luas with buses. Well it's just daft. THe luas line will have to like with the proposed spencer dock station and anyways people comning from kildare wil not want to get luas to connolly and then get another bus to spencer dock.

Those busses should be used other projects tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

My propsal:

St. Stephens Green (stop) - Dawson Street (stop) - Nassua Street - College Green - Westmorland Street (Stop) - O'Connell Street (stop - Green) where there would be a triangler junction connecting with the red line.

This is bascially what was propsed first by CIE before Mary got her way.

Traffic alts:
    Dawson Street: One car traffic lane turn right onto Nassua Street, Tram / Bus lane.

Nassua Street - Grafton Street: Tram / Buses only.

The above two areas are the pinch points of the proposal - there is enough room in Westmorland street - O'Connell Bridge / Street to fit the tracks.

Service to be operated:

Green Line:

Alternate trams operate Sandyford - Connolly and Sandyford - Heuston and vice-versa.

Red Line: Tallaght - Connolly.
    The Connolly - Heuston "shorts" would be withdrawn - the paths for these services would be used by the green line trams to / from Sandyford / Connolly - Heuston.

This has the benefit of keeping the two tram fleets apart (if the 30mtrs aren't extended to 40 mtrs) while connecting the two lines.

Isn't it amazing how two faced shop owners can be?

Suggestions?

Advertisement