Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should you pay to park for mass

Options
  • 14-10-2004 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

story in the paper about some church where people complained when they realised they have to pay to park in the council owned car park besides the church...

of course people said we shouldn't have to pay to go to church but considering the premium on car park spaces... should they pay?

there's gotta be an percentage who drive unneccesarily...

they given a one hour fre parking time round the mass now though...

now that i think of it that saying "what would jesus drive?" should be changed to "would jesus drive?"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I think(like in the Cathedral in galway city) that the car park should charge for use, except on Sundays(Not sure about Saturday evening mass!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

why should going to mass be exempt?
    I get charged when I go to the shop, hell, i have to pay for a disk to park outside my own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

But, mass or any religious service in most places is held during off peak hours and when there is not a lot of traffic, like Sunday mornings or Saturday nights.

Scam by the council it looks like, fish in a barrell etc. Like clamping at 7am Sundays :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

People wouldn't need to drive if there was a decent mass transit system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Prozium

I don't want to appear as if I'm generalising, but as far as I can see alot of people drive to mass that actually live very close to the church and can walk there.

Most area's have churches.

Just think about it, how far are you from your local church ??? and could you walk if you had to ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

DMC wrote:
    But, mass or any religious service in most places is held during off peak hours and when there is not a lot of traffic, like Sunday mornings or Saturday nights.

Scam by the council it looks like, fish in a barrell etc. Like clamping at 7am Sundays :rolleyes:
    It could be argued that mass itself can generate a lot of traffic and congestion, so charging to park is a good idea, may relieve some of the Sunday traffic. Anywhere there are late night venues that people are likely to drive to (like at the back of Wexford St, behind Whelans and The Village) parking discs are required right up until midnight, which is certainly 'off peak'.

Traffic congestion can happen at any time of the day or night if there is an event on, such as mass. Fair play to the council I say.

Advertisement