Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis for women?

Options
  • 14-10-2004 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

I am in Stockholm at the moment and one of the locals was telling me about the scheme they have here whereby there is a 20% discount on taxi fares for women at night. This is to encourage women to use taxis at night in response to safety concerns. The drivers also have received training in the area to cover things like drop female passengers off under street lights, and wait in the area until you see she has entered the building. I know in London there is Lady Cabs and Pink Cars which are a mini cab service run exclusively for women by women.

The principle behind this seems pretty good. Leaving aside the problem that Irish taxi drivers might not be the best for implementing these sort of moves, could similar services be provided in Ireland without falling foul of the gender discrimination sections of the Equality acts?

Advertisement