Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying a patio

Options
  • 14-10-2004 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Anyone here put down their own patio? Just wandering how labour intensive it is and what the potential pitfalls are?

Also, do you know if you can get premixed sand/cement in the right ratio for patio laying to save fannying about with spades et al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, I done my a few months ago, it was both heart and back breaking !! The worse bit is digging out the foundations for it, apparently you go down a couple of inches before filling it back up with paving sand and if you're not used to manual labour like myself, you'll be in bits after it. Once that's done the next bit is to make sure everything is all level before you put the slabs done, you'll be tempted just to lash them down just to get it finished but it's worth taking your time to do things right.
    I didn't have to use too much cement, I used a bag of stuff I got in Woodies which has the sand in it and then inside there's another little bag in it containing the cement which is what I think you're looking for. You still have to mix it though but I just used a hand trowel and bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Sound, thanks Jip. Yeah, the bag with the little bag inside is what I'm looking for. Thankfully I'm laying mine on top of pre-existing concrete so no digging foundations for me!

Did you do that thing where you measure a 1/60 drop to ensure rain water drains away? Or do you have a puddle :)

Advertisement