Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

song of ice and fire

Options
  • 13-10-2004 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

has ne1 read this series???

i think its brilliant maybe better then lotr but its driving me insane

teh 4th book has been postponed 3or4 times now ive been waiting like a year and a half and it just got postponed again till march

i think it will never be released

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

march?
    oh ffs :(

he's worse than robert jordan at this stage, but at least martin will deliver (i hope, I hope I hope).

AsoIaF is one of the best fantasy series I've ever read, it's just.. wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

There are no words for how good it is...seriously. It is just mindblowingly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

march....
    thats it, i'm never starting an incomplete series again.
    you'ld better not die George R.R. Martin

also, Cl0wNz, please spell properly, this is a literature forum after all :), txtspk is indescribably hard on my brain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

This is the 3rd time in one week i have heard about this.
    I think i will be starting it soon and i have high hopes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK, sorry about this but I'm about 60 pages into Book 1, and I'm not blown away.... its a bit boring so far. How long before it starts getting more interesting? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

TmB wrote:
    OK, sorry about this but I'm about 60 pages into Book 1, and I'm not blown away.... its a bit boring so far. How long before it starts getting more interesting? :confused:
    I've read the series so far and I'm not 'blow away' either, it's like a political thriller set in a fantasy world. OK but not mind-blowing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

queers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

TmB wrote:

Well its an 800 or so page book with tonnes of characters, give it a while...Read at least to 200 and then decide to continue or give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

TmB wrote:
    Give it a bit of time. You won't be disappointed.

Mordeth is correct to question the sexual orientation of any who dislike it. Any straight people who don't like it are in fact gay, any gay people who dislike it are straight and any bi-sexuals who dislike it are celibate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Haven't gotten round to this one yet, will give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I rarely give up on books (especially recommendations) so I intend to stick with it.

I just want to know when it gets good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Any second now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

read the first two myself and quite enjoyed them, got through them quite quickly for such large books which is a testament to how much i liked them usually i take a bit longer i'm not as eager to pick em up.

have the two books from book 3 sitting here waiting to be read atm have some other stuff to get through first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

TmB wrote:

I read book one and was pretty ambivalent about it i have to say, didnt buy the rest for about 7 months or so, but once you're comfortable with the characters they get very gripping.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's a certain point, about 2/3 or 3/4 through book one when something happens that cemented my love. You'll know it when you hit it. It is quite political but it's also very well written with the obvious way that the plots have been worked out in advance rather than the Jordan "oh **** what the hell do I do now?!" school of writing.

If it's too political for you, and you want more pyrotechnics/epic scope check out Erikson's Malazan series. Five books so far and he does push out one a year - no writer's block for him. Of course, comparatively, it makes ASoIaF seem like a light read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

IMO ASoIaF is an excellent read. As people have been saying, it does take a while to warm up but once it does, it really is quite gripping. The first book is quite slow in places though.
    Ixoy wrote:
    Of course, comparatively, it makes ASoIaF seem like a light read

Thats one of the reasons i prefer the Malazan books actually, ASoIaF does feel a little 'dumbed down' in places to me, whereas the malazan books seem a lot more advanced in terms of complexity and scenarios. Just my opinion of course, but i would heartily recommend both sets of books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I think George Martin has done an excellent job with the series so far, the writing is tight, he has steered away from the young boy plucked from village by mysterious magical person boilerplate that so many fantasy authors use. The plot is excellent and is very difficult to second guess where he is going with things.

In defence of robert jordan, apart from years between books, I think the story he wants to tell is so huge that there will be entire books where nothing really happens, and all he is doing is moving characters about, which seems to be whats happening in the last few books. (and thats what im going to keep telling myself)

Advertisement