Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are bikes allowed on trains?

Options
  • 12-10-2004 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Does CIE allow you to bring bikes on trains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

fragile wrote:
    Does CIE allow you to bring bikes on trains?
    they do on intercity trains, but there is a charge for it

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Great, thanks dmeehan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Having said that, I understand that they are carried as freight and I don't thnk you can wheel them into the carraige as in some parts of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

BrianD wrote:
    Having said that, I understand that they are carried as freight and I don't thnk you can wheel them into the carraige as in some parts of Europe.
    Pity. If they were allowed in the carriage it might mean a few less people standing on a Friday evening.

Conductor: "Not another cyclist"
    Person: "Nah. I don't cycle. I just bring the bike for a seat on the train"

;)

Q. Can I bring my bicycle onto the train?
    A. Bicycles are not conveyed on DART trains or trains operated by railcars, all Kildare line local trains, all Arrow operated Drogheda/Dundalk line local trains or: -
    16.30 Cork - Heuston (Sunday only)
    06.15 Heuston – Portlaoise
    16.30 Heuston – Carlow/Waterford
    19.05 Heuston – Galway (Saturday only)
    14.20 Heuston – Limerick (Sunday only)
    18.10 Limerick – Heuston (Sunday only)
    Bicycles cannot be conveyed in the passenger area of any train. On trains without automatic doors, bicycles must be placed in the guards van. On trains between Dublin and Dundalk with automatic doors there is a special compartment at the end away from the locomotive. This is the Dublin end of the train. If unsure ask the Station Supervisor upon your arrival.

from www.irishrail.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Wow! That's *customer service*. A delightful customer experience, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

dmeehan wrote:
    Q. Can I bring my bicycle onto the train?
    A. Bicycles are not conveyed on DART trains or trains operated by railcars, all Kildare line local trains, all Arrow operated Drogheda/Dundalk line local trains or: -
    16.30 Cork - Heuston (Sunday only)
    06.15 Heuston – Portlaoise
    16.30 Heuston – Carlow/Waterford
    19.05 Heuston – Galway (Saturday only)
    14.20 Heuston – Limerick (Sunday only)
    18.10 Limerick – Heuston (Sunday only)
    from www.irishrail.ie

Also not on the Cobh to Cork trains (and so probably not on the extended service to Charleville/Mallow). Wonderful if you happen to work on one of the industrial estates in Little Island, Carraigtohill and so faced with a 30 minute walk if you use the train . . . the result, very low commuter train use in these areas....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Is letting bikes on the DART/Luas something that any of the cycling/green transport lobby groups are pushing for?

I know I'd like to see it, and it's something that is allowed on trams/trains in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

BrianD wrote:

How does that work? if I want to get off in Portarlington (Limerick to Dublin train), where the train will probably only stop for less than a minute, will I have time to get my bike out of the freight carriage? and conversely, if I am getting on the train in Portarlington will they open up the freight area to let me put my bike in?

fragile wrote:
    How does that work? if I want to get off in Portarlington (Limerick to Dublin train), where the train will probably only stop for less than a minute, will I have time to get my bike out of the freight carriage? and conversely, if I am getting on the train in Portarlington will they open up the freight area to let me put my bike in?
    i'd say you might have to arrange it in advance, not very convenient though is it

<mental image>
    someone legging it over the footbridge with a bike on thier shoulder
    </mental image> :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

On the Luas last night and two scobes tried to bring a bike, lawn mower and strimmer on.. The driver promptly told them to get off and the knackers threatened him by running up to the front of the tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

The list mentioned above is now a little out of date!

Bicycles are not conveyed on DART trains or trains operated by railcars (EXCEPT 2700 railcar type trains - used on Connolly - Rosslare and Limerick Local services), all Kildare line local trains, all Arrow operated Drogheda/Dundalk line local trains or: -

16.30 Cork - Heuston (Sunday only) - Now operated by Mk3 P/P train (Bike space available)

06.15 Heuston – Portlaoise Now operated by Mk3 P/P train (Bike space available)

16.30 Heuston – Carlow/Waterford - Operated by a Mk2d train, bike space in Guards van.

19.05 Heuston – Galway (Saturday only) - Operated by a Mk2d train, bike space in Guards van.

14.20 Heuston – Limerick (Sunday only) - Railcar operated.
    18.10 Limerick – Heuston (Sunday only) - Railcar operated.

Bicycles cannot be conveyed in the passenger area of any train. On trains without automatic doors, bicycles must be placed in the guards van. On trains between Dublin and Dundalk with automatic doors there is a special compartment at the end away from the locomotive. This is the Dublin end of the train. If unsure ask the Station Supervisor upon your arrival (Incorrect - this refers to Mk3 Push / Pull (P/P) trains which have been transferred from this line to workings out of Heuston)

The above list was not included in this years timetable however it seems it wasn't taken off the website :o

At the end of the day all trains with the exception of the following services can take bikes:

DART services.
    Western Commuter.
    Northern Commuter.
    South Eastern Commuter.
    Kildare Commuter.

Cobh - Cork - Mallow - Charleville "Cork Commuter".

Most Limerick local services which are railcar operated can take bikes as they have been fitted with bike racks which can fit 3 bikes per 2 car train.

Enterprise.

fragile wrote:

Simple - be on the ball when arriving into stations! something that we Irish sometime fail to master! :D

On the Luas last night and two scobes tried to bring a bike, lawn mower and strimmer on.. The driver promptly told them to get off and the knackers threatened him by running up to the front of the tram.
    So what happened next?

enterprise wrote:
    At the end of the day all trains with the exception of the following services can take bikes:
    I presume that is "can" as is "it is physically possible" to take bikes, rather than "can" as in "will" take bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Are bikes allowed on trains?

They must be, or the Northside Dart would never have any women on it. :D

sliabh wrote:
    I presume that is "can" as is "it is physically possible" to take bikes, rather than "can" as in "will" take bikes

?????? :rolleyes:

If there is a Guards van or dedicated space for bikes (e.g. on a Mk3 P/P and 2700 DMU's) then there is no problem with taking bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

I brought my bike from Maynooth to Boyle & was never once asked to pay to have it on the train. I had phoned CIE beforehand who told me that I did indeed have to pay(can't remember how much tho)

Yes you haver to pay to bring the bike on the train.

The fares are quite cheap and calculated on a KM basis - you purchase your ticket for the bike when buying your own ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

fragile wrote:

Opening up the guards van door does not take any more time than any other door on the train. The trick is to be at the correct end of the platform. (Usually the front on trains from Heuston)
    When getting off you can walk through the train into the guards van before the train stops so you can get the bike out promptly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement