Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashel bypass open

Options
  • 12-10-2004 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1011/roads.html
    Transport Minister opens Cashel bypass
    11 October 2004 19:37

The multi-million euro bypass of Cashel in Co Tipperary has been officially opened by the new Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen.

The seven kilometre bypass is the first ever section of dual carriageway in Co Tipperary and was finished seven months ahead of schedule,

This brings to four the number of NRA projects completed ahead of schedule and on budget so far this year. It cost a total of €48 million.

The National Roads Authority says it is part of what will be a new superhighway between Dublin and Cork, most of which will be dual carriageway to be completed within five years.

Overall, the NRA says €8bn is to be spent on road building in Ireland between now and 2009.

Cashel Chamber of Commerce has welcomed the bypass, saying it is liberation day for the people of the town following years of traffic mayhem in Cashel.

Press release and lousy map http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=5959&lang=ENG&loc=1801
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wow, 6.7km of road (probably marginally longer than the original route, but much faster) will manage to knock 30 minutes off a 253.3 km, 3 hour 31 minute (aaroadwatch.ie) / 249.4km 3 hour 31 minute (viamichelin.com) journey. Assuming Cashel is 2km across (excluding the sections of open road bypassed), this would imply a speed of 4kmh through the town .....

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/4195599?view=Eircomnet
    By-pass aims to cut Dublin-Cork trip by 30 mins
    Monday, 11th October, 2004

New Minister for Transport Mr Cullen today opened the Cashel by-pass.

Mr Cullen said the road would improve service and access for road users, and that it showed the Government's commitment to delivering "shorter, safer and superior journeys for Irish road users".

The route, which forms part of the South West Corridor that links Dublin to Cork, should save drivers up to 30 minutes and will result in estimated 10,000 fewer cars passing through Cashel town each day.

The €48.6 million road is a 6.7-kilometre-long dual carriage, with 3.9 kilometres of single carriageway connecting the N8 to the N74 and link roads.

The project was finished seven months ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I've nevered been delayed by that much (30mins) going through Cashel, 10 maximum. The only delays I've ever seen there are as a result of games being on in Thurles.

I can certainly say that the 'much anticipated' Monasterevin bypass will definitely reduce journey times significantly.
    The one thing I'd be worried abou the M'evin bypass is the tollbridge will this cause delays or will it be like the Boyne tollbridge (pretty quiet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

WezzyB,
    The Monasterevin bypass is not a PPP project and thus will not be tolled.
    The first tolls on the M7/M8 will be after Portlaoise towards Cullahill(M8)/Castletown(M7) unless of course the NRA manage to have a toll set up at Newbridge as the touted a few months ago.
    JC

WezzyB wrote:
    The one thing I'd be worried abou the M'evin bypass is the tollbridge will this cause delays or will it be like the Boyne tollbridge (pretty quiet).
    Theres a toll bridge?

• Advertisement

Sorry Victor, I guess I should have just have said turnpike :-)
    JackieChan, I thought that they were going to have a toll on the new M'evn M'way!?! Well if they don't now or in the future, that will be fine with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you could get through Cashel in much less than 30 mins on a Friday afternoon you're doing well!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

WezzyB wrote:
    Sorry Victor, I guess I should have just have said turnpike :-)
    JackieChan, I thought that they were going to have a toll on the new M'evn M'way!?! Well if they don't now or in the future, that will be fine with me!
    whats a turnpike?

like the New Jersey Turnpike, as featured on The Soprannos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a toll gate/road God knows how its got that name, well I can see the turn part okay as in "lets turn around/off and use the back road" :)

Mike..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

WezzyB wrote:
    I've nevered been delayed by that much (30mins) going through Cashel, 10 maximum. The only delays I've ever seen there are as a result of games being on in Thurles.

I can certainly say that the 'much anticipated' Monasterevin bypass will definitely reduce journey times significantly.
    anyways, the NRA say this on their website:
    N7 Monasterevin Bypass will open on Monday 8th November, 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

So if the Monasterevin by pass opens on the 8th, how big will be our honnymoon period before the N7 upgrade starts and everything slows down again?

I don't actually know which Upgrage work you are speaking of Sliabh,
    Is it the road between Kill and City West? I didn't think that was going to start for ages but I just checked the NRA site for 2004 and its penciled in there, to be finished 2006.
    That will cause utter chaos alright!

It would be great if the could build it like they do American roads, build an entirely new carriageway next to exisiting one and not interupt existing traffic and then when the new carriageway is complete divert one of the existing carriageways on the new one and proceed with the second carriageway on one of the older carriageways......

I'd say it would be possible to do something like this as that road is not densly populated, if only they could do that with the M50 upgrade...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

WezzyB wrote:
    I'd say it would be possible to do something like this as that road is not densly populated, if only they could do that with the M50 upgrade...

When is the last time you were on that road in the morning??? But i reckon thtat is how hey will do it.

I miss Kill/Johnstown by using back roads. I'll miss the road works when they start too.

Yip. That road is supposedly started already but I don't see much work yet.

It's menat to be finished for 2006 for the Ryder Cup cos they need it to link CityWest with K Club.

Also the contractors are contractually obliged to keep 2 lanes open each way.

The speed limit will be 40 mph but you have to slow down for the Newlands cross lights and the Red Cow.

Is there any plans for NewLands Cross btw

South Dublin Co. Co. site for their section

Kildare Co. Co. NRDO site for kidare section

narommy, what back roads do you use?
    I don't commute on that road just use it for trips home

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I am taking no responsibility for and damage done to yourselves or others.... the roads aren't great.

Coming from Dublin:
    Turn right across the carriageway just after Johnsons logistics. the turn after the Athgoe turn.

Drive straight to end of road and you will come to a little cross roads. You stop and then drive through.

Then you come to a T junction and turn right onto the main road.

Drive straighht until you come to another T junction. Turn left

Then take the right. (Driving straight will bring you to kill)

Follow the road for a few miles and eventually you will come to a cross roads. Turn left and this will bring you to Sallins from where you will get to naas and onwards

Not sure if it saves much time on way out of dublin (cos you have to go thru Monread to get back on the motorway)but if taken in the morningon the way in it saves loads

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

mike65 wrote:
    Its a toll gate/road God knows how its got that name, well I can see the turn part okay as in "lets turn around/off and use the back road" :)
    Ha.

Turnpikes were the old spikey barriers they used in mid-Plantagenet times (about 1400 or so) for defence (you could turn it you see and it had spikey pikey things on it). Later used on roads to restrict access by people you didn't like. Usage to refer to a tollgate road is from the mid-eighteenth century so it's one of those words that crossed over into the US before it was the US where they retained the usage and we went for something else after, though the meaning's changed slightly over there too - what would once have been a "turnpike road" is now just a "turnpike".

Advertisement