Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word Problem

Options
  • 12-10-2004 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Im writing a story at the moment, and i need help trying to describe somthing, i need a word which means to conceal the truth form lower classes, eg "president telling lies to the people" Im sorry if this isnt supposed to be here but thanks anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

This is the best I can come up with...

Classified, cover-up, conspire, fudge

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

to mask the truth?
    to shield the truth?
    to partially enlighten?

Why not send a mail to Bertie - he should be able to help you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

bushwhacked ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Its the right place to post it but we had more info it would be easier to help you.

"Propoganda", is the only word I can think of that hasnt been mentioned already.

Or maybe "the President concealed the truth from the lower classes with clever subterfuge and covert manipulation"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Couple of additional thoughts: your probably better off calling them working class.

And a tool I've found invaluable to me with my writing:
    http://www.suicidalbeanbag.com/downloads/WordWebInst.exe

Its a dictionary/thesaurus program with a plug in for word. (and yes I know Word has both these things after a fashion. Word Web is more useful imo) Everytime I'm having a problem finding a word, thats where I go. Just becareful not to use any words you've never heard before as you could mis-use them which is the worst sin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

disinformation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

How about mendacious condescension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

Thanks a million, sometimes its so hard to find the "write" word your looking for. "best pun ever", cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Which one did you use, out of curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

I used conspire, it fitted the rest of the text pretty well :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Obfuscate/obfuscation? At least, I think that's who you spell it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

uisce-faoi-thalamh?

Advertisement