Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marbles

Options
  • 11-10-2004 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hey anyone enlighten me on how this was played as i used to play marbles with mates when was a nipper,along the kerb as we used to flick small marbles or gollyers(big ones) or cats eyes as they were called at each other to knock them i think.....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can't remember everything clearly. I lost them a while back.

A big marble was worth three small ones so you would have to hit it three times to win it and they'd only have to hit yours once and a stealie was worth three ordinary marbles and you used to buy them in Hector Greys and the lads from Inchicore used to get ball bearings from the CIE works, locomotive bearings, big bastardin yokes and you'd have to hit it like a million times and then there were dropsies where you'd drop it from you eye

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

ah yeah stealie and dropies.....yeah a dropies from the eye was hard and i remember now the steel ball bearings....haha...never see it beening played today....was reading in Herald about how not many kids are playing on streets these days and not being a bit street wise and if you see a group of kids it only means trouble....its a pity....ah well.....thanks for the info Capt'n Midnight

Advertisement