Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Semi-solid oak floors

Options
  • 11-10-2004 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am hoping to move into my new house this week and I will be laying semi-solid oak floors in the living room ( 22 Sq mtrs) and hall (14sq mtrs). Some of my mates have paid to have them laid and some are telling me its not too difficult to do yourself. Has anyone got experience/advice on whether its better to pay a professional to do this work or is it something fairly handy to DIY?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

It very much depends on your DIY ability and access to the right tools.

It's not a particularly difficult job and there are plenty of sites with step by step instructions available. Access to a chop saw and a power nailer and you are set.

Good luck with it,
    Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

it can be done a bit cheaper with a jigsaw
    No need for nails if it's being glued.
    Is it going on concrete ?

But as Cal said It will all depend on ur DIY ability

Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RSY

Cheers Guys,
    To date I am a bit of a disaster when it comes to DIY but I have friends who are fairly handy.
    Cal- they will be going on concrete floors,will be using glue and the moisture levels have been checked and they are good to go.
    Dec-I have tried google for links on "how to" but couldn't find anything, can you recommend any sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if you can get your hands on a chop saw without having to pay for one, they are better. I got a circular saw in woodies for about €40 which is up to the job.

The main floor area will be easy enough to do once you get started. Edges & corners I find difficult. The run from teh living to the hall might be tricky so maybe suggest stopping half way under the door and running separate for the hall and get a t-section to join.

At least try to get one mate to help...if not 2.

Thanks for the links and the top advice. Reckon I will have a go with myself and a few mates , will update you when the floors warp and the missus throws me out to the shed which came free with house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Get the fibreboard underlay instead of that foam stuff too. more expensive, but much better for insulation

Cheers Threadkiller,will check it out.

1st time using this BB :really helpful, thanks a million for all your help.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just as a follow to RSY's original post....I'll be laying laminate or semi solid soon in a new house. I have to move quick on it cos I need to turn it around fast for rent.
    Chances are the concrete will only have been poured a couple of weeks so it probably won't be fully dried out.

If I lay an underlay with a damp proof course, will the floor still warp with the moisture drying out from the concrete?

• Advertisement
Advertisement