Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolestown broadband solution?

Options
  • 10-10-2004 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if there is any hope for me to get broadband in the Rolestown area.
    I am on the Swords exchange but too far away.
    Are there any wireless operators in the area.
    help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Try http://www.net1.ie/ and http://www.leap.ie/

IBB will tell you 2 weeks or 2 months , it means nothing so dont even ask them .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 5k0rpi0n

I'm on the Rath Lane. Its very annoying. We had the lines to the house replaced by Eircom in an effort to become broadband-compliant and everything, but its just Eircom being cheap and lazy at the end of the day.

Looks like we'll have to settle for satellite - don't want to. Theres rumour of O2 starting to provide wireless, and apparently a test station exists at the top of the Rath Lane. I'm in the process of researching this.
    I'll post anything positive which may arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I know that a friend of mine who lives in that area has tried in vain to get BB recently. He was offered ISDN ok but his line failed the Line test for DSL, most of the lines up that lane are still on poles ans exposed to the elements making them poor candidates for the service. Even his modem dial-up is poor, only hitting about 30Kbps and his phone crackles like fcuk when it's raining outside.

You're about 6 or 7 KM from the Swords exchange on Bridge Street, I don't think any amount of upgrades will get BB to extend that far, it's a limitation of the technology not Eircoms percieved laziness or cheapness. Maybe it's you who is cheap - buying a house outside the village to capitalise on cheaper property, you can't have it every way you know ! It's easy to blame Eircom when something like this happens isn't it !

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 5k0rpi0n

It is Eircoms fault for not investing any money in the communications infrastructure. Did you know that even in built up areas, there arent enough lines for every house? They just assumed "ah well, they wont ALL be using the phone at once". Its bull**** like this that helps demonstrate their incompetence.

They wont properly roll out broadband because they dont feel like it. Simple as that. And yes, once again it is their fault. What, do you ****in work for them or something? You dont have to be such a knob jockey.

And you can shove your "cheaper property" statement up your hole aswell. Obviously you know little about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It is Eircoms fault for not investing any money in the communications infrastructure. Did you know that even in built up areas, there arent enough lines for every house? They just assumed "ah well, they wont ALL be using the phone at once". Its bull**** like this that helps demonstrate their incompetence.

It's called diversity and is a common practice with service providers including ESB - Vodafone - ESAT - Meteor etc. Even in your own house it is assumed that every appliance will not be switched on at once otherwise the fuseboard in your home would need to be about 3 times the rating it is and the cables supplying your distribution board would be a 45mm rather than a 16mm. All service providers make realistic assumptions about the percentage of users who will avail of their service at any one time and base the provision of that service on these assumptions.

Dealing with Eircom specifically I believe they provide a line from every house/business to the exchange but at this point diversity kicks in and they assume that not everyone is going to use their phone at once thus making the exchange smaller and more efficient.
    They wont properly roll out broadband because they dont feel like it. Simple as that.

And you base this assumption on what exactly ? What do you mean by "properly roll out broadband" ? ADSL has a limit of about 2 miles depending on the condition of the telephone lines. Eircom did not impose this restriction - it's a fact of the technology available at the moment, perhaps in a few years this will change.
    What, do you ****in work for them or something? You dont have to be such a knob jockey. And you can shove your "cheaper property" statement up your hole aswell. Obviously you know little about anything.

I can tell I'm dealing with an intelligent rational human being when I read that statement :rolleyes:

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

O2 are currently doing a Wireless broadband test from the top of the Rath Lane, behind a farm off one of their masts. I used to live on the rath and if i knew they where gona do this i wouldnt have moved out :)
    When the pop of rolestown gets larger with all the shaggin estates they keep building (Kalagher your a wanker and we all remember yea beating the kids in the school) there should be an exchange out there in the next 5 years. heh, happy waiting.
    Also, icecomms.net have adverts at the bottom on the Rath Lane saying that they are now in the area, wierd, i was talking to them a few months back and they stated that rolestown wasnt covered as yea would really need about 2000+ for the non-line of sight equipment. a false advert maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

kerbdog wrote:
    O2 are currently doing a Wireless broadband test from the top of the Rath Lane, behind a farm off one of their masts. I used to live on the rath and if i knew they where gona do this i wouldnt have moved out :)
    When the pop of rolestown gets larger with all the shaggin estates they keep building (Kalagher your a wanker and we all remember yea beating the kids in the school) there should be an exchange out there in the next 5 years. heh, happy waiting.
    Also, icecomms.net have adverts at the bottom on the Rath Lane saying that they are now in the area, wierd, i was talking to them a few months back and they stated that rolestown wasnt covered as yea would really need about 2000+ for the non-line of sight equipment. a false advert maybe?

ICE are indeed live now. They are about to do sight tests this week, so i think i'll get them out.
    Do you know where i can find more info about the O2 tests. They might be cheaper.

cant find the number of the guy who phoned me about it. if i do find it (or turnipfish reads this and posts it) i will post it here

Crap.
    Failed the ICE line of sight test.
    I dont want to go the satellite route but might have no choice.
    Digiweb are putting a Wimax transmitter in the airport in the next few months.
    Possibly that will reach.

pollyantic wrote:
    Crap.
    Failed the ICE line of sight test.
    I dont want to go the satellite route but might have no choice.
    Digiweb are putting a Wimax transmitter in the airport in the next few months.
    Possibly that will reach.

If you fail and you about the bottom of the Rath Lane then the rest of Rolestown wont be covered. ICE is doing some false adverts so.

• Advertisement

kerbdog wrote:
    If you fail and you about the bottom of the Rath Lane then the rest of Rolestown wont be covered. ICE is doing some false adverts so.

We're near the Texaco station. Too many trees in the way, so the rest of Rolestown might be ok.
    I think IBB or Digiweb are about to put a non line of sight in the airport, s maybe ......

Also i called o2 to ask about that transmitter but the biddy said she didnt know and couldnt be bothered finmding out more or less

pollyantic wrote:
    We're near the Texaco station. Too many trees in the way, so the rest of Rolestown might be ok.
    I think IBB or Digiweb are about to put a non line of sight in the airport, s maybe ......

Also i called o2 to ask about that transmitter but the biddy said she didnt know and couldnt be bothered finmding out more or less

I found out where their transmitter is in Rolestown. Its up lispopple road, on Flagans mast (the one he uses for his Cable TV system).
    if you got a large mast you should get line of sight :) wanna be huge though.

The O2 trial is hush hush :) heh.
    Tell yea what, if you know people up the Rath Lane, get asking about their internet connection and who they talked to if they have the 02 system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

ZENER wrote:
    ADSL has a limit of about 2 miles depending on the condition of the telephone lines. Eircom did not impose this restriction

And you base this on what exactly? BT dont have any distance limits for the same technology in the UK. Indeed the distance for 1MB/s in the UK is 6 Km. and unlimited for 512kb/s.

Eircom have imposed an artificial restriction on the distance their ADSL will reach by their piss poor investment in lines and infrastructure.

And you base this on what exactly? BT dont have any distance limits for the same technology in the UK. Indeed the distance for 1MB/s in the UK is 6 Km. and unlimited for 512kb/s.

Eircom have imposed an artificial restriction on the distance their ADSL will reach by their piss poor investment in lines and infrastructure.

was talking to a Esat guy in work the other day, turns out that Eircom (well, the other name they had) didnt keep to the telecoms standards, they used cheap ALU wire instead of copper in some places a while back as they got a good deal. its fine for voice, but try using it for data, tis crappy. the esat guy said he has been shocked at the state of some of the corners they didnt cut, but cheaper.

UPDATE: Broadband with Eircom/Esat is available now on the Rath Lane. They did alot of work to the phone lines according to people who live on the road.
    Maybe you should ask for your line to be tested again?

kerbdog wrote:
    UPDATE: Broadband with Eircom/Esat is available now on the Rath Lane. They did alot of work to the phone lines according to people who live on the road.
    Maybe you should ask for your line to be tested again?

They checked again.
    Failed.
    I think i'll get carrier pigeons :)

Advertisement