Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Payment

Options
  • 10-10-2004 7:05pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First off a warning this is abit of a rant about me being pissed off about how An Post handle TV license payments.

Last year my girlfriend paid our TV License but this year its obviously up for renewal and I gota pay it, so its between pay cheques and I decide that I'll go down to the local post office and pay the license,
    good plan right?

Nope, turns out you can't play your license in a post office using a credit card, so I ask the clerk can I pay it on-line on there website,
    Nope, turns out you can't do this either it seems

There are currently only two ways you can pay by credit card,

1. By sending a form with your credit-card details to the License records office, now I don't know about anyone else but I don't like leaving my details somewhat out in the open (as much as I trust An Post)

2. Over the phone,

I do all my bill paying on-line, with the exception off the odd money lodgement I don't go to the bank or credit union,

With all the amazing features the Post office has to offer why can't they allow something as simple as a tv license to be paid on-line or in the post-office?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do they take laser cards?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yep and billpay.ie allow it to be paid directly out of an account, but they are still trying to add the ability to pay by credit card..

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

the reason why you cant pay bill's online by credit card is..beacuse we seem to be a bit old fashion'd and slow in our ways.Not all of us seem to know there's such a thing as the internet,ireland dosent even have a online shop like amazon!We are (some of us) are hundreds of years behind in the past.We are behind other country's for example you can all ready pay all bills by all means in other countrys and we dont have a big online.Someone whould want to give some people in the country a kick up the bottom and drag them into the 21st century!
    At least a small percentage of us are allready there!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

In fairness being able to do it over the phone isn't exactly a hardship and if you do it once it automatically renews (so remember that if you move house !)

I'm sure more people have phone access than internet access (despite eircoms claims)..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

parsi wrote:
    In fairness being able to do it over the phone isn't exactly a hardship and if you do it once it automatically renews (so remember that if you move house !)

hmm don't like the sounds of that, I'm assuming if you demand that they NOT keep you card info on file for the next year renewel that they are legally bind not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

...,ireland dosent even have a online shop like amazon!

Never used http://www.buy4now.ie/Eason/ ?

I used them a couple of time even though I walk through O'Connell street twice a day... better than asking some "I don't want to help you anyway so why bother" woman to help me find a book.

Raphael

raphaelS wrote:
    Never used http://www.buy4now.ie/Eason/ ?

I used them a couple of time even though I walk through O'Connell street twice a day... better than asking some "I don't want to help you anyway so why bother" woman to help me find a book.

I've used it myself, decent value and quick enough delivery
    :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Cabaal wrote:
    hmm don't like the sounds of that, I'm assuming if you demand that they NOT keep you card info on file for the next year renewel that they are legally bind not to.

Haven't a blessed notion - suits me though 'cos it's the wifes card ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

Cabaal wrote:
    First off a warning this is abit of a rant about me being pissed off about how An Post handle TV license payments.

Last year my girlfriend paid our TV License but this year its obviously up for renewal and I gota pay it, so its between pay cheques and I decide that I'll go down to the local post office and pay the license,
    good plan right?

Nope, turns out you can't play your license in a post office using a credit card, so I ask the clerk can I pay it on-line on there website,
    Nope, turns out you can't do this either it seems

There are currently only two ways you can pay by credit card,

1. By sending a form with your credit-card details to the License records office, now I don't know about anyone else but I don't like leaving my details somewhat out in the open (as much as I trust An Post)

2. Over the phone,

I do all my bill paying on-line, with the exception off the odd money lodgement I don't go to the bank or credit union,

With all the amazing features the Post office has to offer why can't they allow something as simple as a tv license to be paid on-line or in the post-office?
    Ever heard of withdrawing cash from your Credit Card? It's not rocket science. I'd be embarrased to start a thread which displays how incapable I am at paying a simple bill.

1) Get money.
    2) Go to Post Office.
    3) Pay Bill.

If you have trouble with step 2 it's because they close for lunch between 1:00pm-2:15pm. If you have any more trouble, send me a PM for more detailed instructions.

X-Dawg wrote:
    Ever heard of withdrawing cash from your Credit Card? It's not rocket science. I'd be embarrased to start a thread which displays how incapable I am at paying a simple bill.

1) Get money.
    2) Go to Post Office.
    3) Pay Bill.

Not the best answer I've ever seen as you have one major flaw in it.

If you take cash of a credit card (ala like ATM card*) you get charged for it and while this is not very much why the hell would I want to waste more money on a bill a detest paying in the first place?

So how about I take the cash off my card and you can pay the fee for me, ok :)

The whole point of this thread is to highlight how bloody backward we are in this country and that they can't even offer a credit card payment system on-line nevermind in a shop (or visa versa)
    So don't be a smart arse..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

lol
    O, boo hoo. Just pay the 1% cash advance fee and stop moaning. Everyone else manages to pay their TV licence without a big song and dance.

People hate paying a license because the money goes to channels most people dislike, do you dispute this?
    Care to run a polll asking if people are happy about having to pay the license?

Show me one person on boards that can 100% say there happy about paying a tv license and that there happy were there money goes and they feel that RTE justified the license increase to 152 euro's.

Fact is they bitch about people not paying the *tax* but yet they could make the payment process more simple for people (even if they dislike having to pay it) that is the whole point of my thread.

As for people not making a song & dance about having to pay it, do you even read the threads on the Television forum and other boards??
    :rolleyes:
    parsi wrote:
    Haven't a blessed notion - suits me though 'cos it's the wifes card ;)

lol, I guess I'll see what the story is regarding that process,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Just don't pay the licence. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

magpie wrote:
    Just don't pay the licence. Problem solved.
    That will cost you a grand in the district court:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

See this thread for some top tips.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=190993

Bond-007 wrote:
    That will cost you a grand in the district court:(

hmm for some reason I always thought it was five grand..weird,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Just be glad your TV licence is paying for national TV and radio broadcasting that you may actually watch and not just dropping into the government coffers.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I was under the impression that An Post are currently (or were) in a dispute with the givernment about their TV license collection operation with the possibility that they might stop providing the service? They're hardly going to modernise a system whose future is not 100% secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

My girlfriend wanted a household bill or somesuch in her name, so she paid the TV license this year. They're still sending ME demands though, the pr*cks. Despite my telling them on more than one occassion.

Its a rip-off, plain and simple. If RTE was a tenth of the service that BBC is, you wouldn't mind so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I actually pay for the Tv licence by Direct Debit. Don't have to think about it, €12 a month (or something like that). You can ring 'em and get them to send you out a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

My pet peeve about the TV license is this.....

I first bought a TV license on March 28th 2000:

Bought: 28-03-2000 Expires: 28-02-2001 Total:11 months
    Bought: 19-02-2001 Expires: 28-02-2002 Total:12 months
    Bought: 28-02-2002 Expires: 31-01-2003 Total:11 months
    Bought: 20-02-2003 Expires: 31-01-2004 Total:11 months
    Bought: 22-01-2004 Expires: 31-12-2004 Total:11 months!!!!!

Paying on time or late seems to cost a month evert time! Paying early doesn't give any benefit beyond the expected 12 months.

I'm determined to recoup the stolen months - its a long term plan! This year, I will not renew, but just look for a brand new license around February 1st. They'd hardly give me any grief if I was caught just a few weeks out of date, right? If that works, I'll keep edging it out until we're even - it will only take three years! :cool:

Anybody got a better idea on how to balance the books? Am I the only victim here?

• Advertisement

Stugots wrote:
    My pet peeve about the TV license is this.....

I first bought a TV license on March 28th 2000:

Bought: 28-03-2000 Expires: 28-02-2001 Total:11 months
    Bought: 19-02-2001 Expires: 28-02-2002 Total:12 months
    Bought: 28-02-2002 Expires: 31-01-2003 Total:11 months
    Bought: 20-02-2003 Expires: 31-01-2004 Total:[EDIT]

Why not phone them and bitch to them about them ripping you off?

Advertisement