Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem-Dolby DTS from consoles: what am I missing...?

Options
  • 09-10-2004 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

OK after getting a new DVD home cinema set up this week. Set it all up and tested it with various titles and the TV and it works a treat.

So I decided to see what GTA VC sounded like as it says it is DTS encoded.
    I loaded up my PS2, disconnected the L & R audio leads from the scart input on the back of the TV and plugged them into the audio inputs on the DTS system.
    I then went into the audio options on the in-game menu and switched it from stereo output to DTS. I got a warning box saying that this will only work with DTS encoded equipment! Happy days I thought...

Nothing but silence was what I heard. I rechecked the cables (which were fine as the stereo output was clear as day) rechecked my source, and rechecked the PS2's own configuration (which doesn't exist: must be application controlled).

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? The sound system is a Sony as well so they should be pretty compatible. Is it the case that something liek this only works with a standalone 5.1 speaker set-up?
    ...or am I missing something glaringly obvious??
    Any help much appreiated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I nearly sure you need to use an optical Digital cable for DTS.

Dont have a Sp2 but there should be another output for audio and an input on the home cinema jobbie.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

kdjac
    You're right there. You need to get yourself a fibre optic cable from Dixons or any of those types of places. The stereo cables only do what their name says - stereo. DTS, like Dolby Digital, is purely digital and needs to be carried from the PS" to your amp digitally. In this case using an opical fibre lead from the optical output at the back of your PS2 to the optical input of your amp. The stereo cable set up you are using at the moment is just analogue stereo. It is impossible for DTS to work using this method.
    BTW, the DTS sound on Vice City is superb. I could sit there all day just listening to the bass thumping on the radio channels. Hopefully, GTA San Andreas will utilise DTS too.
    Good luck with the DTS. Just get your optical cable, plug it into the PS2 at one end and your amp at the other and away you go. Just make sure you check the size of the connection. AFAIK, there are a couple of different sizes. I think there is the standard type connection and a headphone type connection. THE PS2 is the standard type connection and your amp is most probably the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ah thx for that. I know I have an optical-optical cable someplace but not even sure if the AV receiver has an input: guess if it doesn't I'm screwed.

I know there's one on my soundcard but since they're in different rooms that kind of screws that up...

*goes to check*

[edit] Bah! No optical-in. It's entry level system so I suppose that's to be expected. Just make do with false surround then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If it has DTS decoder and tis a receiver it will have a input , if it has a built in DVD player then maybe it wont.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

KdjaC wrote:
    If it has DTS decoder and tis a receiver it will have a input , if it has a built in DVD player then maybe it wont.

kdjac
    Yeah built in player: couldn't stand the drone of the ps2 fan during films any longer...

• Advertisement
Advertisement