Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best DVD/Film of the Year

Options
  • 28-12-2000 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Having not seen 'Fight Club', my vote goes to Gladiator;- with a fantastic soundtrack and amazing visuals, this is a colossal epic of a movie which gives a crunching boot in the testicles to all who oppose it biggrin.gif

bard2.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Fight Club by a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

Fight Club indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not seen fight club, so my vote also goes for gladiator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Fight Club or Gladiator, loved 'em both but Gladiator takes it for me smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Fightclub.
    I used to think the book was better. Especially the Ending and the way more severe beating that Norton gets.
    However after watching the DVD again recently I have to say the Flim is better than the book. The visuals in it are stunning. Its all the detail in it and the humour. I love the bit where his Apartment becomes the IKEA catalog.
    I have to say that I liked Gladiator but didn't love it. Didn't get me fired up enough I guess. Ended well, like all epics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well as we are getting into the "Best of" time of the year.

My choice has to be Fight Club. I just watched it again on DVD last night. Everytime I watch this film I get something new from it. Great acting from Edward Norton, Brad Pitt(I know it hurts to say this) and Helena Bonham-Carter.

Gladiator does come second btw smile.gif

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

In agreement with Mills here...

saw Fight Club last night, - fantastic film - still not the best of the year in my estimation though (sadly enough!)...

Gladiator gets my vote.

Meet the Parents, by the way, is a very funny film ... only in the cinema at the moment so I guess it doesn't come into your poll ... Pam Marsha Focker and Gaylord Focker ... hee hee hee biggrin.gif

bard2.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, here's a new entry to the list:
    Toy Story 2!

I have not laughed as much at the first time watching a film since The Holy Grail.

I loved the take-offs of other big films. I had to leave the theatre at one stage so I could start breathing again.

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Gladiator, Fight Club and yep Toy Story 2 is up there in 3rd smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

American Beauty in first, Gladiator in second... As for third place, god knows. Lots of good stuff on DVD this year to choose from. Chicken Run and The Patriot are up there, definitely; Fight Club probably is too, although I'm not really a huge fan of the movie. No doubt in my mind that American Beauty and Gladiator are the top two DVDs of the year, though. Both are good discs as well, lots of extras, especially on the Gladiator disc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

American beauty was.....different....good i s'pse, i'd go for gladiator tho smile.gif

UP DA DUBS!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cyberdog

Fight Club. Also Chicken Run and Toy Story 2 for overcoming the "kid's film" tag and having oodles of extras on the disks. More please

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Personnally i cant ever say best of the year (except favourtie ever is very easy for me smile.gif

but

i would think Gladiator, figth club chicken run and toy story 2 would be the one i say if a gun was pointed at me and i was asked the say the best of 2000
    But
    Gladiator reminds me of Braveheart saving privaate ryan etc cause they r all the same EPICS with the main guy dying at the end leaving a message of some moral kind tha means nothing to u today smile.gif

i liked fight club saw it in australia 4 times:0 liked it every time
    except 1st was on plane and i slept right till the end woke up when he found bomb in car park frown.gif i actually didnt know wha movie it was until i went to see it in cinema

annoyed me of how i knew it was to end *sniff*

BK the KK
    Fraggen with a smile:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Best movie - Fight Club
    Best DVD - Nightmare before christmas special edition. Cos of the great movie and the oodles of extras including a couple of tim burtons short films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hannah

american beauty, by a long shot
    excellent film

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Fight club came out in Oct 99 didnt' it?

My fav's would be
    1)Fight club
    2)Gladitor

Thats if Fight club is being included in2000 smile.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

1/ Gladiator
    2/ 3 Kings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Im not counting Fight Club as i saw that in '99.

1 Gladiator
    2 The Insider
    3 Three Kings
    4 Being John Malkovich
    5 Toy Story 2.

Honourable Mention : Cherry Falls, the first movie i ever fell asleep to at a cinema. Well done, you did us all proud...

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I'd say it might be Toy Stoary 2
    as its aimed at kids ..
    I was thinking though
    Bob the builder would be a great film which would be VERY popular with kids
    hmm
    I might go and direct one called that biggrin.gif

Advertisement