Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good series!

Options
  • 09-10-2004 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Am looking for a good series of books to read. I guess i am learning that i love it when you follow characters, and it is only after reading a couple of thousand pages about somebody do you get to know them in my opinion.

The ones i have read and can think of:

Lord Of The Rings - himself
    Dark Tower - Stephen King
    I suppose you can count Hitchhikers GTTG!

So what are the real good ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

nevernev wrote:
    Hey,
    Am looking for a good series of books to read. I guess i am learning that i love it when you follow characters, and it is only after reading a couple of thousand pages about somebody do you get to know them in my opinion.

Try the Patrick O'Brian (sic) series, which are more addictive than any substance I have yet tried!
    I found the first one heavy going at first, until I got into the style. And if you like length, ther's 13 or so of them.
    The film 'Master and Commander'is based on a couple of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've always loved the Tales Of The Bard trilogy by Michael Scott. Some very interesting characters in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Jack Whyte's 'A Dream of Eagles' series is excellent. It's set in early fifth century Roman Britain. More than one thousand pages with Gaius Publius Varrus could make you happy. The first book is The Skystone, and if the first chapter doesn't sweep you into his adventures, then don't bother with the rest - but I'll bet you get hooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

nevernev wrote:
    Umm...well then you want to give The Wheel Of Time series a look, it seems to have gotten progressively worst over the series, but it's possible that the ending will make up for it. I hope so :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

nevernev wrote:
    Hey,

Forget everything the other folk have reccomened you , get the " A Song Of Ice And Fire " series by George R R Martin.

I Promise you will fall in love with the series halfway through the first book. The characters are absolutely fantastic and the way they are developed is mind boggling. Look up reviews of the series and they are all 5 star 10/10 reviews. The first book is called " A Game Of Thrones "

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/000647988X/qid=1097408461/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0339244-7667620

Just look at the customer reviews - they are all 5 star !!! GET THIS BOOK

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Umm...well then you want to give The Wheel Of Time series a look, it seems to have gotten progressively worst over the series, but it's possible that the ending will make up for it. I hope so :confused:

no, the wheel of time is dead. there is no hope for it.

listen to tusky, for once he knows what he's talking about

also check out tad williams - otherland series (5 books), and "memory,sorrow & thorn" series (3 books) by the same author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Try Terry Pratchett's Discworld - at thirty books (and counting) it should keep you entertained for a good while!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Quick warning.. A song of Ice and Fire, while being fantastic, is an unfinished work. The 4th book "a feast for crows" is already nearly a year overdue....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I personally love detective stories and I have fallen in love with a writer called Kinky Friedman. His books are based on himself (with a lot of fiction thrown in) He is a kind of modern day Sherlock Holms and has several Watsons that help him out. He is based in New York and the stories all seem to unfold around people he knows, some of them being the likes of Willie Nelson.
    The stories are excellently told and can be hilariously funny. I have often been reduced to tears for laughing! There are about 20 or so books in the series and you can get collections that have 4 or 5 books in one.

I highly recomend these for good light entertainment!

LoLth wrote:
    Quick warning.. A song of Ice and Fire, while being fantastic, is an unfinished work. The 4th book "a feast for crows" is already nearly a year overdue....

True - but the 3rd book is actually two books and each book is what...700/800 pages ? So by the time said person reads the 4 books he will most likely have finished the 5th !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Tusky wrote:
    True - but the 3rd book is actually two books and each book is what...700/800 pages ? So by the time said person reads the 4 books he will most likely have finished the 5th !

hmmm, I distinctly remember someone saying the exact same thing about the Wheel of time :)

george r. r. martin is not robert jordan.

I believe in G. R. R. martin.

He won't let us down like that bastard did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

A Song of Ice and Fire it is then...

That is a great thing about this site. If you need some suggestions post it here, come back a few days later and it is debate city. The majority vote appears to be this song so that is the one i will go for (once i am finished with the current batch of library books, that is.)
    I love it!

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Philip Pullman "His Dark Materials" is fantastic. The 3rd one in particular but they're all excellent, I really enjoyed them!! Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass are the names

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

elbee wrote:
    Try Terry Pratchett's Discworld - at thirty books (and counting) it should keep you entertained for a good while!
    Of COURSE :D *Offler hits himself Terry is a major recommendation; a great read. We even have a Discworld forum here on boards ( *pie.boards.ie link* ).

Philip Pullman "His Dark Materials" is fantastic. The 3rd one in particular but they're all excellent, I really enjoyed them!! Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass are the names

i read book 1 in one night, and then spent the next day reading book 2.. and stayed up all night that night reading book 3.

i near cried at the end, god damn wonderful series but I just couldn't take that ending.. not with that little sleep. it nearly destroyed me :o

the writing's a bit childish, but the story and ideas in it are pretty involved. I especially loved the whole "war on god" aspect :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mordeth wrote:
    the writing's a bit childish
    I understood them to be basically children's books (albeit somewhat older children), so that's to be expected.
    Mordeth wrote:
    I especially loved the whole "war on god" aspect :D
    Yeah, I'm a sucker for stories that challenge conventional theology - Ann Rice's Memnoch the Devil being a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Raymond Feist ~ Start with magician ( one of the best books ever!!) and then work through the various series of books he's written, I can't believe nobody has mentioned him yet!!!!

Terry Pratchett ~ anything
    Robert Jordan ~ Wheel of time, but be prepared to suffer through the last few
    George R Martin ~ A song of Ice and Fire
    Janny Wurtz ~ The wars of Light and shadow
    Robin Hobb ~ the farseer trilogy
    R A Salvatore ~ either the dark elf trilogy or The Demon Wars Saga

When you've read all of them come back and I'll recommend some more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Iago wrote:
    Raymond Feist ~ Start with magician ( one of the best books ever!!) and then work through the various series of books he's written, I can't believe nobody has mentioned him yet!!!!
    I agree - his first series was fantastic (Magician, Silverthorn, Darkness at Sethanon). His other series weren't half as good...

i stopped reading feist after "prince of krondor", the font sized tripled and the book length got halved.. and the stories got ****e :)

• Advertisement

nevernev wrote:
    A Song of Ice and Fire it is then...

That is a great thing about this site. If you need some suggestions post it here, come back a few days later and it is debate city. The majority vote appears to be this song so that is the one i will go for (once i am finished with the current batch of library books, that is.)
    I love it!

Thanks guys!

Make sure to post back here telling us how its one of the best books you have ever read....because it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Mordeth wrote:
    i stopped reading feist after "prince of krondor", the font sized tripled and the book length got halved.. and the stories got ****e :)

agreed but Conclave of Shadows has been pretty good so far and goes someway towards fixing things..

Advertisement