Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Points

Options
  • 08-10-2004 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the "distance point" is in?

I think thats what it is called. It's the point in a city / town where the distance from another town / city is measured to. I presume its somewhere around O'Connell bridge or the Spire (based on Nelson's Pillar).

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's usually the GPO, the main post office in each town.
    The GPO in Cork moved a while back, but I don't think they changed the road signs to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Useless but related trivia.....
    Charing Cross is London's.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's usually the GPO, the main post office in each town.
    The GPO in Cork moved a while back, but I don't think they changed the road signs to match.

The GPO is still in the same place in Cork - it's the sorting office which has moved - from Anglesea St (not near the GPO) to Little Island and some other suboffice hidden in an industrial park off the South Ring (Colsto).

If you walk along the Blackrock Road it still has mileposts with "X miles from GPO" engraved on them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ah that explains why the signs to Cork weren't changed :D

Thanks for reminding me - the are still milestones like that on the main road through the phoenix park. In Italy they have "milestones" every 100 meters on major routes.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

A bit oT but on the Centre Park road you can find milepost size castiron "stumps" marking the boundary of the Henry Ford Factory lands..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

parsi wrote:
    The GPO is still in the same place in Cork - it's the sorting office which has moved
    The one in Dublin moved years ago to a site in Clondalkin by the M50. It's a good thing they never updated the Dublin distance signs then either :)

Also a bit OT, I was on the train from Cork to Dublin yesterday and as we approached the city I looked at the freshly painted distance markers that every quarter of a mile gave the distance to Heuston. I was thinking that come January next year (and the final move to metrification) these will probably be the last mile distance signs in the country.

sliabh wrote:
    The one in Dublin moved years ago to a site in Clondalkin by the M50. It's a good thing they never updated the Dublin distance signs then either :)
    The GPO was still in O'Connell street last time I looked. And that sorting office is/was/will be kinda phased out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

> was thinking that come January next year (and the final move to metrification) >these will probably be the last mile distance signs in the country.

its the speed limit signs that are changing in January - the distance signs were done years ago but there are still plenty of the old mile signs about.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

sliabh wrote:
    Also a bit OT, I was on the train from Cork to Dublin yesterday and as we approached the city I looked at the freshly painted distance markers that every quarter of a mile gave the distance to Heuston. I was thinking that come January next year (and the final move to metrification) these will probably be the last mile distance signs in the country.

Yes all railway lines have "Mileposts" every 1/4 of a mile. Mileposts are always located on the "down side" of the line (e.g. travelling Dublin to Cork - look to your left).

Very handy if your asleep and wake up, just look out the window and you have your location in a matter of seconds - of course a good idea of where each station is located (miles from start point) helps to.

Enterprise

Advertisement