Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Journey Planner

Options
  • 08-10-2004 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm in the process of relocating London -> Dublin, and one thing I haven't been able to find for Dublin is an online journey planner along the lines of the one for London provided by Transport for London ( http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/ ). This is an excellent service, which allows one to provide a start and finish address, and details possible routes between them, taking into account bus, tube, overland train, tram, and walking. It also
    provides time and fare information for the various options. It is very accurate, and absolutely invaluable for both Londoners and tourists.

The nearest thing I can find to it for Dublin is the Walking and Cycling Journey Planner provided by the Dublin Transportation Office (DTO) at http://www.dto-journeyplanner.ie . However, this only provides walking / cycling routes, and doesn't provide details of public transport.

If such a site exists for Dublin, can someone please point it out to me.

If not, how about it DTO (presume someone from there reads this site) - why not provide a planner which includes *all* public transport options - i.e. including Bus, Luas, Dart, Rail, and walking.

journeyman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

journeyman wrote:
    If not, how about it DTO (presume someone from there reads this site) - why not provide a planner which includes *all* public transport options - i.e. including Bus, Luas, Dart, Rail, and walking.

journeyman

I did actually see a prototype of that DTO planner that included public transport. It was at aconference i was at last year. Looked very good too. just needed lots and lots of data entry to get all the correct streets and routes into it....i wonder what became of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is still a planner on the DTO site, but it is only for pedestrian and cycle journeys.

I think that the first step in all this would have to be a good, comprehensive map of public transport services in Dublin. There does not appear to be any such map at the moment, and this is a crying shame.

antoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,263 ✭✭✭✭Victor

journeyman, where do you want to travel between?
    I think that the first step in all this would have to be a good, comprehensive map of public transport services in Dublin. There does not appear to be any such map at the moment, and this is a crying shame.
    There is a Dublin Bus paper map that has all routes, but due to size would be prohibitive to publish. There are of course the local service guides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

There is still a planner on the DTO site, but it is only for pedestrian and cycle journeys.
    antoin.

I dunno about walking but I wouldn't use the DTO planner for cycling routes, it's clueless about what routes are cycle-friendly. If they come up with a planner for public transpot, it will probably be just as bad.

Typical DTO, all theory, no practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Victor wrote:
    There is a Dublin Bus paper map that has all routes, but due to size would be prohibitive to publish.
    PDF's are pretty cheap to publish.

• Advertisement

jlang wrote:
    PDF's are pretty cheap to publish.
    Sorry, I meant giving punters a paper A1/A0 full colour map. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Victor wrote:
    There is a Dublin Bus paper map that has all routes, but due to size would be prohibitive to publish. There are of course the local service guides.
    London bus produces 5 maps, one for each corner of london and one for central. These are free in tube stations or can be viewed here:
    http://www.londontransport.co.uk/tfl/bus_maps.shtml

So, it's not impossible.

Looking at them gives me a headache. :) Thinking there are that many routes to manage.

The existing maps from Dublin bus have each route (e.g. 10/10A would be one colour, 11/11A/11B would be another) in a different colour, which makes reading them a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote:
    journeyman, where do you want to travel between?There is a Dublin Bus paper map that has all routes, but due to size would be prohibitive to publish. There are of course the local service guides.

Except that they do publish one, it has been available at the head office on O'Connell Street for some time. It is to a smaller scale than the maps on the local guides but with the same style of multi-colour route markings.

Advertisement