Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun in the Snow 2004/2005

Options
  • 08-10-2004 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

So seeing as the ski/snowboarding season is almost upon us what are people's plans for this year?

I hope to get in at least as much skiing as last year which came to about 17 days in total. Hopefully i'll get a full week in at some stage as well as 2 or 3 long weekends and at least one day for most of the other weekends between Christmas and the end of March. Hopefully we have snow here (Austria) in some of the resorts beside me before christmas so that I can get a couple of days in before heading home for a week for christmas.

I also might try straping on a snowboard again this year but only after I discover why it was so uncomfortable last year. I also definitely want to go toboggoning again too. Hopefully somewhere with a good track that's not too bumpy.

So people what are your plans?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm off to Morzine in France for a week on 30th January. Looking forward to it. Booked with www.highlife.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I've got 10 days booked in Zel am See from the middle of March. Can't bloody wait!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Going to a place N.Spain, Astun. Been there the last few years, good snow and the slopes are on the door step of the accom. Roll on End of Jan and end of Feb.
    Word to the wise, if anyone gets a chance to use Flow bindings go for it. Got a set last year and they are brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

jay567 wrote:
    Going to a place N.Spain, Astun. Been there the last few years, good snow and the slopes are on the door step of the accom. Roll on End of Jan and end of Feb.
    Word to the wise, if anyone gets a chance to use Flow bindings go for it. Got a set last year and they are brilliant!
    After a quick google they look like the ones that were giving me all that pain last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

BUMMER!! But i still stick to them being v good, thinking now i did buy new boots round the same time, may have influenced.

• Advertisement

What's so good about them? I'm a snow-boarding newbie so I'm not really familiar with the differences between them and regular bindings. There's one guy in Kilternan who used binding that don't have straps. Instead your shoe clicks in - he swears by them. Any experience with these?

Ah, I guess if I'd looked properly I might have found out what they were. They sound handy - do you reckon you could rent these when on holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Flow are damn good bindings I'm on my second pair now. If you're renting and have a choice of these go for it. Step in bindings offered on rentals are often rubbishy early switch models.Personally I dont think much of step ins. All bindings have their good and bad points but overall I think the flow system offers the most comfort with least hassles. Penexpers Morzine rocks, biggest field in Europe you'll love it .
    I have no idea where I'm going this year , if I can get a leave of absence I'll do a season in Canada if not I'll do French Alps.

Check www.planetblunt.co.uk for photos of me and me mates boarding in NZ canada france bulgaria spain Oz ..........yeah we get around a bit I guess! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I was skiing for the first time in July in NZ good fun, tryin to sort something out for after crimbo. Anyone being to Andorra or Sweden if so which is better.

Cool photos from NZ aswell... Were is that were you stayed ? Some of the photos look like Wanaka. What was that fly-by-rocket like ? I done the Nevis bungy instead :D

I was in Queenstown for 2 seasons lived in a few different gaffs in QT and arrowtown but never in wanaka though did go down to Treblecone, snowfarm and cardrona , went heliboarding down there too. Didn't do bungee or any of that stuff as i was living off me credit card trying to avoid work so I could board more....still paying it back now!! My mates did all that tho and said FBW was rad. Looks the bussiness in their video of it. I havn't been to Sweden but I was in Andorra I'd imagine Sweden has better backcountry and terrain / facilities. I went to Arinsal and it was rubbish. closed pipe 3 lifts 1 face ...what a joke strictly for 1 hr falling over 12hrs getting langered apres skiers. BTW Try boarding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I did, It hurt. Couldnt afford to waste any more money whilst i was away so stuck to something i was good at :p

Although what did you think of the fields in NZ, I loved them now as its my first time but a good few mates who are instructors were sorta giving out over the size of the fields. Any recomdations on were to go in Europe ? Prob heading off in late Jan or Feb. About 6 of us... 2 experts, 1 inter and 3 newbies. Also what are the runs like in NZ compared to Eur, because this english dude was telling me the blues in NZ are like the blacks on the alpes... Talking bull surely?

Penexpers how much was your week in Morzine with highlife?

Nz doesn't come close to Europe , Canada, the U.S and the Alps are probably the top 3 places to board but.... if you're learning or a relative newbie it doesn't matter all that much if they run a superpipe dragon daily and have crazy chutes and drops all over the place. Figure what you want and keep an eye on snow reports.

Anyone been to La Grave near les deux alpes?

Advertisement