Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus public consultations

Options
  • 07-10-2004 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭

Dublin Bus are doing public consultations with passenger focus groups etc.

Does anyone have the contact details for this? (I saw a poster as I was getting off the bus).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Dunno.
    But I agree it would be nice to know more about this.
    You could ring Grainne Macken in the Dublin Bus press office.
    She is sure to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Should we put our shopping list together here?
    Busses that run to a timetable,
    Politeness from drivers,
    Less strikes,
    More QBCs,
    Use of middle doors,
    Improved ticketing,
    Less scumbags,
    Hostesses with in-bus service
    Reclining seats
    Hover busses

Ahem, losing the run of myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Its nice to have buses running to a timetable but with traffic congestion the timetable often goes out the window as drivers and depot controllers often struggle to provide something which resembles a service!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

add to "shopping list"
    drivers to use the scroll, so accurate info displayed about route number/destination

I have been on a bus many times where the driver never changed the scroll when he reached the terminus

also:
    Name all busstops on route. its very handy for giving someone directions to reach a certain spot, rather than "ask driver to tell you when you reach XYZ"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

An accurate electronic display at bus stops showing the waiting times for coming buses would improve the service massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

as the 17 is a when it comes it comes kinda bus, and there's little they can do re: that they should make it every 15 mins or more regular again. Because its a great route, just no use at the mo beacuse of the unpredicatibility

• Registered Users Posts: 14,763 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

>Use of middle doors,

no middle doors on new buses, this is a bit of a dead issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Less scumbags

great idea except there would be alot of buses driving around empty
    tallaght
    ballymun
    coolock
    finglas
    clondalkin
    and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A proper night bus service, not one that stops at 11:30 for an hour and then returns with reduced routes, only going outbound and only picking people at a limited number of stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Flukey wrote:
    A proper night bus service, not one that stops at 11:30 for an hour and then returns with reduced routes, only going outbound and only picking people at a limited number of stops.

There is not enough demand for a full night bus service in Dublin.

Apart from the city centre the city is dead after 11pm.

Only on Friday and Saturday nights are the current night buses even close to full. The 12.30, the one an hour after the regular buses stop running is particularly quiet.

After 10pm most inbound buses are very lightly used.

• Advertisement

Flukey wrote:

in fairness the nitelink service is being expanded all the time

the reduced routes is too offer a higher frequency
    only going outbound is also to increase frequency of buses in the direction that the vast majority of people are travelling
    the limited number of stops is to do with security most of the stops are close to garda stations

the reason for the gap between 1130 and the start of the nitelinks is that the drivers who are operating the nitelinks are also the ones operating the 11:30 service then they return to depots and pick up a cleaned and fueled bus and maybe get a cup of tea if they are lucky
    just for your info most of them will have started work at about 3 that afternoon probably wont get home till near 6am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

cdebru wrote:
    the reason for the gap between 1130 and the start of the nitelinks is that the drivers who are operating the nitelinks are also the ones operating the 11:30 service then they return to depots and pick up a cleaned and fueled bus and maybe get a cup of tea if they are lucky

That is fascinating, but a bit odd. Would it not make sense to also ask the drivers who finish at 10.30 or 11.00 to drive an extra 12.00 nite link as well? If that is where there is demand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

dmeehan wrote:
    add to "shopping list"
    drivers to use the scroll, so accurate info displayed about route number/destination

I have been on a bus many times where the driver never changed the scroll when he reached the terminus

Oh yes!, this is one thing that really annoys me, the amount of timers i've got the mystical 17b!

vinnyfitz wrote:
    That is fascinating, but a bit odd. Would it not make sense to also ask the drivers who finish at 10.30 or 11.00 to drive an extra 12.00 nite link as well? If that is where there is demand...

firstly there is not really sufficient number of drivers finished at that time
    secondly there is not really that much of a demand for buses at that time
    it doesn't really start getting busy till after 1:30
    might be a couple of straglers who missed the last bus at 11:30 thats it

however with the start of the 48 hour week soon this will probably all change as this service will not be able to be run on an overtime basis so drivers will have to be recruited to work this as a shift on its own right
    so the company could easily start the shift earlier to facilitate 12:00 nitelinks if they wish i presume
    its all a bit up in the air at the moment
    its also possible with the introduction of the 48 hour week that the nitelinks
    on mon tue and wed could be cancelled as these dont really pay their way
    the company have already reduced the service on thursday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Superman wrote:
    Oh yes!, this is one thing that really annoys me, the amount of timers i've got the mystical 17b!
    Of We Go To Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!!!

Watch out for the druggies in a cloud of hash at the back ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

uberwolf wrote:
    as the 17 is a when it comes it comes kinda bus, and there's little they can do re: that they should make it every 15 mins or more regular again. Because its a great route, just no use at the mo beacuse of the unpredicatibility
    Later in the evenings ~9pm there used to be one an hour. And it would often be late (20-30 minutes) and occasionally not show up. And that was at the Blackrock Dart station. Nice route, but not worth getting it if you've to wait half an hour or longer for a bus that may / may not arrive.

Solution - if you are running that late - try to let the passengers know so they can go somewhere warm ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The 17 is one of the routes that is due to be revamped when the orbital QBC is done, just like the Rock road/ Dun Laoghaire QBC it seems to be permanently in planning mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

address is : customerfocus at dublinbus.ie

Advertisement