Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably a bit of a strange request ... But anyway.

Options
  • 06-10-2004 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

Hello!

I'm posting on behalf of DCU Women's Rugby Club as I think some of you here may be able to help us out.

We're a relatively new club with little or no playing experience. Most of our girls have never played match before.

Anywho ... We start our Division 3 "campaign" on Sunday next October 10th against Athboy, in DCU.

Unfortunately we have no referee for the game which is due to kick off at 12.

The Leinster branch only informed me this evening that as we are division three we don't get much choice with referees and it's really just a luck of the draw situation. We won't know 'til Friday afternoon if we have one or not.

Alternatively we can invite a qualified ref. to come to referee our game. (This is where you come in)

If any of you are a qualified referee or know of one who would be willing to come and referee our game on Sunday we would be very much obliged. If the ref. is invited by the club he/she is covered by insurance so there's no problem with that.

It'll be a 10-a-side game, each half lasting 30 minutes, with uncontested scrums. (:D)

I'd be delighted if anyone could help me with this as it's our first game as a club and we're hoping to get it all running smoothly. (Basically as secretary I'm ****ed if it all goes to pot! As I've been doing all the contacting etc.)

If you want any more information or contact details just drop me a PM.

You'd really be helping us out and what better way to spend an afternoon than watching a bunch of women groping each other and rolling around in the mud!

Thanks in advance!

Anne-Marie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'm a member of an irish email rugby group. If you like i spam your message to our members and see if there are any takers. I won't promise anyhting but you never know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

That'd be class!
    Thanks.
    :D

ok email is sent....bit of a long shot but if you're not in you can't win :D

Indeedy.
    Thanks again.

Hi Amz, had no takers...sorry. Hope u have more luck with the L Branch!? Good luck on Sunday anyhow!

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for trying!
    Have had no luck as yet, we're pestering any rugby contacts we have at this stage.

Hopefully we'll have found someone by Sunday!

Thanks again!

A.M
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Thanks Dave!

For insurance reasons they have to be a qualified referee. I was told that we could even invite a retired referee if needs be. Once they're qualified they're covered by insurance.

Getting a bit er ... desperate at this stage!

I think they've become strict following the accident where the chap playing for Belvo broke his neck.

Insurance has become a very expensive issue.

• Advertisement

Well the fact that they're suggesting retired referees would lead me to believe there's a desperate shortage. I mean if it's difficult to get refs for men's games we're experiencing a famine in women's rugby!

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me get a ref. We ended up getting our coach to ref. which wasn't the most desirable conclusion but desperate times and all that.

We won the game 25 - 20 so we're really chuffed as it was our first match together as a club.

Thanks again lads!

Hopefully I won't have to bother ye like this again!

A.M

Amz wrote:
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help me get a ref. We ended up getting our coach to ref. which wasn't the most desirable conclusion but desperate times and all that.

We won the game 25 - 20 so we're really chuffed as it was our first match together as a club.

Thanks again lads!

Hopefully I won't have to bother ye like this again!

A.M

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Nicely done, fair play. It can be a real b!tch having your own coach ref, was (s)he extra tough on you? :)

We had a PFY reffing us yesterday for a friendly - he was quite good for a young lad actually.

He was very fair, he didn't let us away with anything though. We've only had him for three training sessions so far, so he doesn't know us too well yet. It'd probably have been worse if he did.

It helped me realise how unfit I am though!

How did ye got on yesterday Trojan?

We're playing Clontarf next Sunday, hopefully I'll be able to move by then.

We won, 38-17 (afaik) against Stillorgan Bs. Our team were more prepared and more match fit for some reason (only 2nd game of the season) and the mobility showed against a tough opposition pack. Good match, very physical opposition - I'm really feeling it today - have some nasty looking battle scars and bruises, so I know how you feel.

One thing you should make sure that you guys warm down - we started doing that for 5 mins after every game - makes a hell of a difference in how you feel next day.

Cool, might even see ye Sunday, we're playing a blitz, though only 1 in 3 odds that it's at home (especially if there are other games on there).

I have to work on my sprinting. My recovery after a few sprints wasn't what I would have liked it to be. My muscles aren't too bad, just the hamstrings are a little tight and my lower back is at me, but that's a recurring problem with me.

Think I'll nip to the physio during the week and get it sorted out before it becomes too much of a problem.

I've found the same Dave: I did a 100 mile cycle no problem last week, yet 30 minutes into the game on Sunday I was dying to the point of asking time every scrum... not impressive at all....

• Advertisement
Advertisement