Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd hate to see this happen.

Options
  • 04-10-2004 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Apparently the english RFU want Jonny o connor to play for them. It would be sad to see this great player playing for england, Lawrence Dallaglio can't praise him enough either, but I suppose there are a lot of back row forwards in Ireland. still foley won't be around for to long more and with Gleeson gone for most of the next year there is a good case Eddie o sullivan to bring him in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

xern wrote:
    Apparently the english RFU want Jonny o connor to play for them. It would be sad to see this great player playing for england

I'd hate to see it too but let's put it into perspective. Look at all the great Englishmen who have played for Ireland. Simon Geoghegan, John O'Driscoll (Brian's first cousin once removed I think) Jim Staples, Simon Easterby.

Who did they get from us so far? Kyran (what a poncy spelling) bloody Bracken.

I think we're well in credit in terms of pilfering good players unwanted by the other lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I think the sad thing is that the IRFU takes the attitude of "**** You" if you choose not to play in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I doubt that Johnny O Conner will play for England, infairness the competition in the backrow is fierce so O'Conner is going to have produce something very special to break onto the squad. I've a feeling this story is a lot of crap, just a bit of scandel on the rugby seen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Dont think that he will be allowed play for the English isnt there soome rule saying if he has an Irish Passport and has played for that country that you cant change. I know this was all up in the air a few yrs back but after Dominguez played for Arg and then switched to Italy there was a stop to it.

Eddie was over to see him play last week and he said he was dead impressed. It was unfortunate that he got injured last season when he did as he was playing out of his skin.
    One false move by the irish back rows and ya never know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

When you say you dont want O Connor to move is it because you think he is a valuable addition to the Irish team or because you dont want him to play for England...

Its one player...not a critical cornerstone. I'd say if he can go for it he will. I dont know a large amount about rugby but business wise if England will give him a better chance of playing frequently then his nationality doesnt matter...

Thats just my opinion...

Advertisement