Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Kino still be there when it's not?

Options
  • 02-10-2004 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

The Kino cinema building in Cork is to be knocked down to make way for a new facility with two screening rooms and other facilities. Does anyone know if Kino films will be shown somewhere else in Cork while this construction work is taking place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

There was talk that the Capitol would take over from the kino with dedicated arthouse content. The Capitol is begining to do this already anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

So is the Gate surprisingly!! Managing to get Supersize Me was a real coup for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

but isn't the capitol being demolished and turned into flats/shopping centre?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

damien.m wrote:
    There was talk that the Capitol would take over from the kino with dedicated arthouse content. The Capitol is begining to do this already anyway.

I suppose this would explain their playing "Motorcycle diaries" somewhat more simply than my previously-held theory (aliens with surprisingly good taste in films and an even more surprising grasp of the english language).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

damien.m wrote:

Hmm, hope they start cleaning their screening rooms properly as well then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

deRanged wrote:
    but isn't the capitol being demolished and turned into flats/shopping centre?

I think they're keeping one or two screens upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

plazzTT wrote:
    I think they're keeping one or two screens upstairs?

No, that's going to be my TV room. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yeah no they're supposed to be knocking the Capitol and making it into some kind of shopping centre.. to extend the city centre... blah.. it's such a small space though not sure if it's worth their while.. and we need it as a cinema.. imagine the queues for new releases?!!! :eek:

There's a new 11 screen one planned for Blackpool, and a large one (I don't know how many screens) for Mahon Point. It leaves the city centre a bit bare though if there's only the Gate till the Kino is back online.

Mahon point suits me well - driving from Glounthaune, but how many people would head out there from the city centre.

only possible if ur driving.. what about all the students!! depending on publin transport.. just wouldn't be possible! and u kind of need to be able to head for a pint once the show is over, not stuck out in the suburbs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

You can't beat the Capitol for admission price - €5 student rate all week (unlike most cinemas who scrap the student rate at weekends the ba$terds). My guess is with the Capitol demolished we'll be coughing up the extra euros in the new facility.

A financially challenged student...

Cork_girl wrote:
    what about all the students!!

I am a student!

That's kindof what I meant though - it's too out of the way if you're coming from town. I'd be coming in from home to go there - not calling in after college or ideally taking a half day and heading in right after lunch!
    I'll miss the capitol for that and the price. Paid 8 quid to see a film in galway last week - shocking.

sorry! ah but seriously, the gate is ok.. they don't drop student rates at the weekend.. helps a bit! but without competition... sure who knows what they'll start charging!

Advertisement